Socks: Or, the Accessory You Never Thought Mattered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

I’ve met one other fan on this campus who has an equal fascination with the functional foot accessory, but I’m here to show you all a small way to achieve big change in your outfits.

Aside from preventing too much friction in your shoes and absorbing sweat, socks can serve as outfit enhancers, adding a little texture or color to an otherwise staid outfit. Things to keep in mind when pairing them with an outfit are: texture (if everything else in your outfit is knit, maybe the socks shouldn’t be too, don’t want to look like a walking ball of yarn), color (it never hurts to have a little burst of magic/glitter), and length (knee length, thigh high, or crew, all huge differences).

Take a look at the following outfit and see how the socks play a pretty big role in changing the overall look:

I know, it’s a lot to take in at once, but let’s start on a basic level. Some pretty key socks to have are knee-length and crew, and you’ll want to have them in a pretty basic array of colors like white, black, and gray. Newer ideas are sparkle socks, knitted socks, animal print socks, and trouser socks (basically socks made out of stocking material). Don’t be afraid to get creative too; while I have a ton of knee-high socks, I haven’t worn them like that since middle school. Nowadays, you can see me hustling in Val with them gathered around my ankles. Doesn’t have to be your thing, but it’s just an idea.

When pairing them with an outfit, think about the color scheme. Maybe if your outfits mainly darker in colors, a bright spot near your shoes could be eye-catching? A little glitter also goes a long way, and if you’ve got on some baubles, flashy feet might be in order. Don’t forget the style of shoe too (of course!). Boots are a great way to showcase new socks, especially ankle boots since they draw attention to your feet anyway and I usually like to bunch my socks up so they just peek out over the top.

Here’s a selection from my humble collection:

Sock trivia: the earliest known pair of socks was found in a tomb in Egypt, assumed to be from around 300-500AD. Tragically, they were two-toed, meaning they were meant to be worn with sandals…I know, my heart broke a little too.

Some pretty great places to look:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?id=W_INTIMATES_SOCKS

(For the advanced sockers) http://www.sockittome.com/cart/

Happy socking, see you all next time!

Mercedes

p.s. Say the word “socks” a lot and it sounds super weird. Socks, socks, socks, socks…so strange.