Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Amherst Features

Cute MA Ways to Get Off Campus

By Evelyn Kramer
September 21, 2013 - 5:10pm

In the passenger’s seat of my friend’s car on a sunny morning toward the end of April last year, I felt a sense of relief mixed with excitement and promise.  We were headed to the Mount Holyoke stables so she could introduce me to her horse.  Why did I feel so great, I asked myself.  And then it occurred to me that other than spring break, I really hadn’t left campus since January.  I had forgotten that the real world was still there–a place where there were trees, and buildings, and patches of grass that I didn’t know by heart, and people did things besides study.  For your own well-being, don’t let yourself for go for that many months without venturing beyond the town of Amherst.  Here are a couple easy ways to interact with the outside world:...

What Fave Ice Cream Flavor Tells You About Personality

By Evelyn Kramer
September 14, 2013 - 7:15pm

It’s the beginning of the semester and you’re meeting lots of potential new friends and romantic interests.  So what’s a quick wait way to know if a friendship (or more) is worth pursuing?  Take him/her out for ice cream.  Two studies have recently been conducted on what someone’s favorite ice cream flavor says about their personality.  We are a liberal arts college after all.  We should be using science to pick friends.   If he/she picks:   READ MORE

5 Ways I Know I'm Back in Europe

By Evelyn Kramer
August 8, 2013 - 5:03pm

As soon as I got off the plane in Florence, everywhere I looked I thought to myself, “Wow, #that’ssoEurope”.  Here’s why: 1.     You have to pay to use the bathroom.  1 euro.  And it’s not just a suggestion either.  You literally can’t open the door without paying.  If this were the case in New York, I think people would riot. 2.     The vending machines are stocked with Fanta and Kinder chocolate bars.  Even the snack food in Europe seems somehow classier. 3.     Everyone walks really slowly.  They’re all taking their time, checking out the sights, meandering.  No one is in a rush.  Who cares about work?  The only people who walk this slowly in New York are tourists, and New Yorkers all want to slap them #sorrynotsorry.      ...

Review: Only God Forgives

By Shaiyra Devi
August 6, 2013 - 10:08am

Only God Forgives raises the question of how much of a movie an audience can stand to watch when it loves and respects an artist. Had the film featured lesser-known actors and an obscure director, it might have been booed off the screen for its superfluous gore and barely-there story. READ MORE

4 Healthy Things Parisians Are Doing Right

By Evelyn Kramer
July 12, 2013 - 3:20pm

With Bastille Day coming up this Sunday, channel your inner Parisian by trying out some of these healthy French lifestyle staples. READ MORE

10 Awkward Situations We Empathize With

By Evelyn Kramer
May 8, 2013 - 10:51pm

READ MORE

Amherst Select Dinner: An Elegant Occasion

By Kristen Lee
May 2, 2013 - 8:44pm

READ MORE

Op ed: Amherst Administration Approves Plans for Dry Orientation

By Evelyn Kramer
April 25, 2013 - 1:20am

Update: Rumor has it the policy has been revised such that it only applies to student works and athletes at their coach's discretion.  Yay AAS!      READ MORE

10 Things Not to Beat Yourself Up About

By Evelyn Kramer
April 19, 2013 - 8:00pm

We’ve just finished midterms and finals are fast approaching, so cut yourself some slack.  You’re tired and stressed and trying to hold onto your sanity.  So don’t beat yourself up if:   1. You ordered a calzone for the second night in a row.  Calzones are magic mood boosters, so warm and soft and gooey; like comfort wrapped up in a pocket of dough. READ MORE

The Script Dubstep's Been Waiting For

By Shaiyra Devi
April 11, 2013 - 1:19am

Korine Harmony is known mostly for writing Kids and directing Gummo, Julien Donkey-Boy and Trash Humpers. His films have been called original, risky, brilliant, grotesque; certainly they are not meant to be pleasant. Some argue they provide valuable social critiques, while others dismiss them as mere agents of shock-factor.   READ MORE