Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Amherst Features

Culinary Creations at Val

By Julia Weatherly
November 16, 2013 - 4:56pm

Tired of the same old turkey sandwich you make for dinner when the Val menu isn’t speaking to you? Don’t feel like spending another ten bucks on fresh side? Here are five easy tips and recipes to try from your local classmates at Amherst next time you’re in the mood to spice things up! Save your money and still eat delicious food! Enjoy!   1.     Katie’s Buff Chick Quesadilla READ MORE

Into the Village: Finding Sustenance in Williamstown

By Evelyn Kramer
November 6, 2013 - 9:51am

READ MORE

15 Signs You're a Lady/Lord Jeff

By Evelyn Kramer
November 2, 2013 - 7:34pm

If you identity with some of these signs, you are a legit Lady/Lord Jeff:   1.     You prefer Goberry to Froyo world (and you make sure people know what a loyal Goberry customer you are)   READ MORE

Two Days in Barcelona

By Evelyn Kramer
October 26, 2013 - 4:49pm

READ MORE

What I Learned from Korean Dramas

By Carina Corbin
October 17, 2013 - 10:00pm

I will admit, though I listen to Korean pop music, I do not watch many dramas. Now, you're most likely wondering: Jinkies! How could she learn anything from Korean dramas if she doesn't really watch them? Well, I'm glad you asked, my dear reader. Since most K-dramas use the same formula, all I needed was two dramas to learn everything I needed about school and love. Without further ado, here are my K-Drama Life Lessons (KDLL).    KDLL # 1 It's not dramatic if you're not standing outside in the rain. READ MORE

Started out Hustlin, ended up Ballin: Transferring to Amherst

By Julia Weatherly
October 7, 2013 - 11:50pm

Overwhelmed with my first week of work at Amherst, I took a seat for the first time at the Black Sheep only to glance over at an older man sipping black coffee and reading what appeared to be piano sheet music. Here I was a newly transferred student to Amherst College, trying to make sense of the words in my new text book that I naively overpaid for at Amherst Books, and this man was casually reading sheet music like a newspaper. I’m sorry, where am I?   READ MORE

My Problem with Miley

By Evelyn Kramer
October 5, 2013 - 1:42pm

Everyone has been talking about Miley Cyrus a lot lately.  Good for her.  She has certainly made strides toward separating herself from her innocent, Disney image.  Unfortunately, she has accomplished this the way Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and pretty much every other female celebrity has: by constantly portraying herself in a hyper-sexualized manner.    READ MORE

5 Things to Do in Northampton

By Carina Corbin
September 28, 2013 - 2:34pm

Compared to a big city, the Amherst downtown looks cute and a little unreal.  With its quaint local businesses, cozy eateries and the life-saving CVS, you can't help but find Amherst charming. However, if you want a quick change of scenery (and maybe want to live on the edge a little), hop on the B43 and take a short ride to Northampton.  In Northampton, you find a variety of places to eat, shop, get a makeover, and bond with friends. Here is my list of places to visit when I arrive in Northampton. READ MORE

Cute MA Ways to Get Off Campus

By Evelyn Kramer
September 21, 2013 - 5:10pm

In the passenger’s seat of my friend’s car on a sunny morning toward the end of April last year, I felt a sense of relief mixed with excitement and promise.  We were headed to the Mount Holyoke stables so she could introduce me to her horse.  Why did I feel so great, I asked myself.  And then it occurred to me that other than spring break, I really hadn’t left campus since January.  I had forgotten that the real world was still there–a place where there were trees, and buildings, and patches of grass that I didn’t know by heart, and people did things besides study.  For your own well-being, don’t let yourself for go for that many months without venturing beyond the town of Amherst.  Here are a couple easy ways to interact with the outside world:...

What Fave Ice Cream Flavor Tells You About Personality

By Evelyn Kramer
September 14, 2013 - 7:15pm

It’s the beginning of the semester and you’re meeting lots of potential new friends and romantic interests.  So what’s a quick wait way to know if a friendship (or more) is worth pursuing?  Take him/her out for ice cream.  Two studies have recently been conducted on what someone’s favorite ice cream flavor says about their personality.  We are a liberal arts college after all.  We should be using science to pick friends.   If he/she picks:   READ MORE