Meet Shatoyia Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

A. Tell me about where are you from:

I am from very humble beginnings; the culture of fried chicken, yams, cornbread, mustard greens and hammocks, chitt-lerings as we call them, neck bones and sweet tea, the superiority of thick girls, hustling, being scared of no one and not being afraid to use these hands, hard work, southern accents and southern hospitality. Though I’m from the small city of Monroe, Louisiana, I resonate more with the “redneck” culture of mudding, bonfires, tailgate parties, boots/cowboy-girl boots, horseback riding, nature stuff and country music. Also, I come from a “Christian” background, but it was more of a religion back then rather than a relationship. I didn’t actually know God.

B. How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?

Amherst was my first time seeing snow; back home our “snow” is more like ice. I didn’t like the snow at all my first year, though it was pretty.  Also, here it gets cold earlier in the year, and when it’s cold, it’s COLD. I never had to wear an actual coat until I got here. I have adapted pretty fast though.

C. Why did you choose to attend Amherst?

It was more like Amherst chose me. Thanks to the celebrity who I adored the most in my younger years (and still adore to this day), Miley Cyrus, I wanted to go to Bryan College in Tennessee and live the authentic country lifestyle, to rock climb, do archery, horseback riding, go to tailgate parties. I didn’t think I would get into Amherst and grudgingly applied because my honors English teacher pushed me to do so. I am still so grateful to this day. I get the best of both worlds:  an intellectual atmosphere that’s not so rural that there’s nothing to do, and still rural enough that I get to do the nature things I love. In addition, the opportunities and experiences I have had…man.

D. What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?

Academically, I am interested in Communications, Performance and Performance Art, Movement and Dance, Business, Psychology, Education, Philosophy, and Spanish.  Currently, I am a Spanish major, in the process of proposing an interdisciplinary and Comparative Performance Arts and Communications. Leisurely, I have a variety of interests:  dancing/choreographing/social dancing, traveling, nature, martial arts, archery, playing violin, business (I like starting new things.), fashion/style, writing/song-writing, singing, service work and community outreach, Christian Ministry, education, art…the list is seriously endless.

E. What are you passionate about the most?

I am passionate about Christ and Christian ministry/community outreach, youth mentorship and education, dance and movement, music, open dialogue and communications, the success and quality living of others,’ justice, philosophy, and proving people wrong (in the upmost respectful way).

F. Tell me the best memory of your first year:

Having heart to hearts with people who saw me as a Jesus freak and stuck-up, receiving my first kudos, and coming out of the year with a ‘B’ average (you’d have to understand what I went through to understand).

G. What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond?

Learn and travel as much as I can, as well as make use of the resources here so as to contribute as much as I can to the Amherst College and Amherst community.

H. What is the best compliment you’ve received?

Well… I have two that are on the same level of “best” because I will never forget them.

1. That I was unlike anyone they have ever met, and they appreciate me.

2. That they can see Christ in me.

Miss Black America Massachusetts 2018; Founder/CEO of Born to Be Unique Consulting, Ordinary x Influence, and To Save a Life Nonprofit; Author of Myth of the Self Made; Crimson Education Consultant Hello! I am a social entrepreneur, speaker, author, & motivational speaker (currently open to be booked for interviews, speaking and event hosting) with a love for Yahweh (God), life, dancing, Christian Ministry, natural beauty, modest fashion, social justice, learning and education, art, service work, travel, nature, business, a good bargain or sale, and helping people to live their "best" lives by leading by example. Follow me on instagram: @rock_n_rawrrr and visit my website to learn more about me and my work at: www.ordinaryxinfluence.weebly.com