Meet Sara Schulwolf ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet Sara Schulwolf’17 a pre-med with a philosphy major and a passion for writing!

Tell me about where are you from:

I’m from West Hartford Connecticut, about an hour and a half south of Amherst and about five minutes outside of Hartford. While it’s technically Hartford that boasts some of CT’s most interesting historical attractions, (ex. Wadsworth Athenium, Mark Twain House and Harriet Beecher Stowe House Museums), West Hartford is home to the ugliest statue of Noah Webster in existence.

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?: It’s pretty similar: beautiful fall colors, freezing winters that last until mid-april, and humid summers.  WeHa is a few degrees warmer, but it’s unclear if that’s due to geography or the side-effects of suburban sprawl.   

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

I knew that I wanted to go to a smaller school: I felt like it would allow for a stronger sense of community, and better opportunities to engage with peers and professors. Having no real idea of what I wanted to “do with my life” before I got to college, the open curriculum was definitely a big draw. Ultimately, I ended up visiting a bunch of nescac and similar types of schools, and liked Amherst the best. 

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

Academically, I’m a philosophy major as well as pre-med, and as such, have always enjoyed learning about ‘the mind’ from both a physical and metaphysical perspective. I’ve also always been passionate about writing — currently, I’m writing a senior thesis about sexual objectification from a philosophical/ethical standpoint, which has been challenging but also really fascinating to research. Leisurely, I love playing ultimate Frisbee (shoutout to spamo!), playing the role of ‘screaming patient’ in ACEMS trainings, freestyling on the recorder, and making science puns (for reference, follow my twitter account @justorgothings)

What are you passionate about the most?:

I’m passionate about serving others and about issues of women’s rights/healthcare. These passions are what motivate me to pursue a career at the intersection of medicine, public health, and advocacy. I’m also obsessed with dogs. 

Tell me the best memory of your first year:

Probably learning how to cross-country ski. Even as a life-long New Englander, I had never learned before coming to Amherst. Now it’s one of my favorite activities! 

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:

For my last semester, the goals are to finish my thesis, be an active member of the community, and make the most of my last semester (without getting bogged down in nostalgia). Beyond: pursue a career that I’m passionate about, adopt a dog, and get over my bee phobia. 

What is the best compliment you’ve received?:

One of my friends once said, “I hope you go to medical school so you can be my children’s doctor.” I was touched.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.