Meet Mei Zhou, our HC Survival Kit Giveaway Winner!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

A. Tell us about where you’re from.

I was born in southern China but raised in a small city in Idaho.

B. How does the weather at Amherst differ from back home?

The humidity during the warmer months is always surprising to me. It’s a very different type of heat than what I’m used to.

C. Why did you choose to attend Amherst?

The open curriculum was definitely a big part of my decision to attend. I really love trying a bunch of different things, and Amherst gives me that freedom.

D. What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?

Academically I’m pretty invested in my majors, computer science and Japanese. Outside of the classroom, I actually love drafting and sewing elaborate costumes.

E. What are you passionate about most?

My passions change pretty frequently but I think helping others has been a long term passion of mine.

F. Tell us the best memory of your first year.

I really loved hanging out in my floor’s common room with everyone during my freshman year. We used to all nap (or accidentally fall asleep) on the couches which was kind of weird but super nice as well. It was a great community.

G. What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond?

Since it’s my last year here, I want to go to more events and just do more things in general. In terms of actual plans, my thesis is my big plan for the rest of the school year, and I honestly have no clue what I want to do with my life longterm but after graduation I want to spend some more time in Japan.

H. What is the best compliment you’ve received?

I always get super happy when people compliment me on the weirder outfits I wear. I love wearing bright and sparkly clothes that can sometimes just be A LOT to take in and some small part of me is always slightly worried about judge-y people, so it makes my day when people say they like my neon green pants or giant hair-bow or something.

Miss Black America Massachusetts 2018; Founder/CEO of Born to Be Unique Consulting, Ordinary x Influence, and To Save a Life Nonprofit; Author of Myth of the Self Made; Crimson Education Consultant Hello! I am a social entrepreneur, speaker, author, & motivational speaker (currently open to be booked for interviews, speaking and event hosting) with a love for Yahweh (God), life, dancing, Christian Ministry, natural beauty, modest fashion, social justice, learning and education, art, service work, travel, nature, business, a good bargain or sale, and helping people to live their "best" lives by leading by example. Follow me on instagram: @rock_n_rawrrr and visit my website to learn more about me and my work at: www.ordinaryxinfluence.weebly.com