Lea Delaria is Headed to Amherst!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Before she comes to Amherst this week, here are 16 Things to know about Lea DeLaria:

1.     She is an American comedian, actress, and jazz musician.

2.     Was the first openly gay comic to break the late-night talk-show barrier when she appeared on “The Arsenio Hall Show” in 1993.

3.     Hosted Comedy Central’s Out There—the first all-gay stand-up comedy special.

4.     Has performed on Broadway.

5.     Is known for “Edge of Seventeen” (1998), “The First Wives Club” (1996) and “Homo Heights” (1998) [according to the reliable IMDB].

6.     Was quoted as saying, “My idea as far as comedy goes has always been able to push the limits of what’s acceptable for a woman to do or say or be.  My hero in that would be Lenny Bruce, who teaches us that words have no meaning.  It’s the intent behind them that is what’s important.”

7.     Currently stars as Carrie “Big Boo” Black on “Orange is the New Black.”

8.     Unlike the other inmates, we do not know how Boo came to be incarcerated.

9.     We do know that Boo hides a corn on the cob and a salt shaker in her armpits.

10.  Although confident and sarcastic, Boo is anxious and is given a therapy dog in season one, who she cleverly names “Little Boo.”

11.  She is famous for stealing Piper’s accidentally stolen screwdriver and then re-gifting it back to Piper to use as protection from Pennsatucky.

12.  Big Boo loses “Little Boo” in season two for reasons that shall remain unnamed.

13.  She enters into a sex competition with Nicky; it ends in a draw.

14.  Boo betrays “Red” and her smuggling operation from the greenhouse when she tells Vee about the tunnel.  As a result, Red finds herself on the brink of a near-death experience.  Don’t worry though, Boo is forgiven.

15.  She will star on the third season of “Orange is the New Black” which premieres on June 12th.  Be sure to mark your calendar. 

16.  But more importantly, mark your calendar for this Wednesday at 8pm…Lea DeLaria will be making an appearance at the Powerhouse, an event you surely do not want to miss!

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C