Layering For the Win

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Hello fall semester! Classes, football, and the leaves a-changin’! Personally, I could not be more excited about the start of this year, and also all of the giant September issues of fashion magazines. Those rock, although like I get it, Cara Delevigne and Karlie Kloss are good at modeling, Eyebrows-got it. Excuse the sidebar, now back to the business of summer/fall fashion!

Today I am going to talk about a handy trend/perennial style-secret; layering! If Kate Moss had a trend equivalent, it would be layering. Layering has always been cool, and forever will be. Not only is layering awesome, but it is also practical with the chilly Amherst mornings and warm afternoons. Additionally, layering can help you keep summer pieces relevant throughout the fall. I do not want to confuse you though−− layering does not mean wearing all of your favorite clothes at once. The goal here is not to incorporate as many trends at once. That is never the answer. Instead, layering is about giving your look dimension and an effortless feel.

To start, I would suggest working with a comfortable tee or tank. You could also do both. A tight tank, maybe one for working out, with a larger and looser t-shirt overtop is nice because the tank-top could show through at the top, and if it does get hot later on, you have a base layer. You could also wear that same tank top with a button up, or flannel. The tighter tank-top with a flannel is also nice because the tank-top can give you some shape if you leave the flannel unbuttoned. You can try a patterned tank and a patterned flannel too. You can also mix and match textures. While on the topic of textures, a waffle t-shirt crushes it all the time. So wear one with a collard shirt underneath or with a jean jacket. Roll the sleeves up on the jacket so the sleeves of the waffle shirt show from your forearms to your wrists. That way you can feel comfortable without looking sloppy. As always, fashion is about how you feel first, and how you look second. Layering lets you feel comfortable while being put together and on-trend.

Another fun way to layer is with outerwear. You never just have to wear one warm layer. You could start with your favorite t-shirt, add a jean vest, and a comfy zip up overtop. Hello modern grunge! (Isn’t that always the goal…??!!) You could also try out a longer shirt or tank, with a comfy sweater overtop, that shows the top underneath. Heck, toss on a vest to that look too!

As for pants, I would suggest trying to balance your upper half. If you went loose on top, try a tighter or more structured pant, and vice versa. I think the same goes for shoes. If you went feminine with your clothes, wear a loafer or sneaker. For me, outfits are all about dimension and balance. Layering is a great way to achieve both of these goals.

So ladies, let it be known that we are going to dress to be ready for whatever the day throws at us, and we can look chic doing it! 

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C