Joan Silber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Since fiction writer Joan Silber is coming to Amherst next Wednesday, here’s a little info about her!  She grew up in Millburn, NJ, went to Sarah Lawrence College for undergrad, and then got her masters at NYU.  She has since taught all over the place, from NYU to the University of Utah, to the Bread Loaf summer school near Middlebury.  She currently teaches fiction writing at Sarah Lawrence. 

Her first novel, Household Wars, won the PEN/Hemingway award.  She has since published five other books of fiction and earned numerous distinctions, and also wrote a nonfiction book called The Art of Time in Fiction, which examines the role different systems of time play in storytelling.  Her new book of short stories, Fools, just came out last spring, and was nominated for the PEN/Faulkner award.

Come hear her read from her new book on Wednesday, April 9th at Amherst Books!  There will be cookies and wine and it should be a great time!      

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.