How To Know You’re From New York

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Every city, whether big or small, has a vibe.  New York City’s vibe is one that you can often see glimpses of on television, in movies and in books.  For this reason, many non-New Yorkers can often feel like they know it after one or two visits.  However, there are a few things that only those born and raised in NYC will know and understand.

You Understand the Five Boroughs  

I have very low tolerance for people who ask me if Brooklyn is in New York City.   Yes, it is.  End of story.

You Refer to Manhattan As the “City”

One reason why outsiders are confused by the boroughs of New York City is because most New Yorkers refer to Manhattan as as “the city.”  Rarely will you hear a New Yorker say, “I’m going into Manhattan.” It’s “I’m going to the city.”  

You Have “A Spot”

It’s the secret place that you hope doesn’t appear on one of those trendy websites because you don’t want the atmosphere to change or the prices to go up. RIP Chopped Cheese

You Avoid A Certain Area Like The Plague

For some, they just can’t stand the tourist crowds.  For others,  it maybe Astoria because their ex lives there or the Bronx because they aren’t about that life. Whatever the reason you don’t go, you just don’t.

You Speak Differently To Fellow New Yorkers

Because apparently, “stoop” is not a common word,  “not for nothing” is a phrase that needs to be explained and sarcasm is a way of life.

Geography Is On A Need-To-Know Basis

I’m from Brooklyn, and I know it pretty well.  My knowledge of the other boroughs, upstate and the tri-state area are dependent on who I know there.  If I don’t need to know it, I frankly don’t care to know it.

The Following Things Annoy You  

• Slow walking

• Slow walking tourists that take pictures

• The MTA

• Awkward Eye Contact/Small Talk on transportation

• People who agree with signs like this:

(News flash: yes you do.)

• People who say they are from the NYC area (what does that even mean?)

• If you’re not from Manhattan:  Failure to understand that you have a house and a car

• If you’re from Manhattan: People moving into Manhattan/visiting the outer boroughs

• If you’re from the Bronx: People saying Bronx

• If you’re from Queens/Brooklyn: People discovering your neighborhood

• If you’re from Staten Island: “The Forgotten Borough” and probably the ferry

• Having to explain all these things

Joking aside, being back in New York over break reminded of the things that I both love and hate about the city. I think what makes you a true New Yorker is being able to acknowledge both and enjoy the city because of it.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.