How To Conquer Amherst Unofficial Mid Term Week by T-Swizzle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

One minute, we were frollicking on the quad, reuniting with friends and reminiscing about our summers. Suddenly, the temperature dropped and the work load increased.  It’s the fifth week of school and there isn’t a single person who hasn’t had a project, mid-term exam or paper.  It’s only going to get worse and many of us are still in the summer mentality. So, we decided to give you a little advice on how to survive this rough time.  We also decided our friend, Tay, to help us Shake It Off.

You Can Do This!

Don’t forget that you can make it through this. That’s the first thing you should remember when your teacher reminds you about that problem set worth 40% of your grade. As corny as it sounds, if you don’t believe in yourself, you won’t be able to get through the rest of these steps.  You may have seen the movement #ActuallySheCan being promoted by different celebrities with posters like “Be Your Own Boss”  and “Dreaming Out Loud.” These motivate us when we’re down, so maybe it will help you too!

Look Hot

So, now that you feel confident,you got to look like it too.  You don’t have to look like you stayed up all night to write your LJST paper.  Not you my fashion diva.  Take the extra ten minutes in the morning to pick out your favorite outfit, try a bolder eyeshadow or work a new hairstyle.  Don’t want to sacrifice pressing the snooze button? Pick up travel sizes of hair spray, hair mousse and makeup to change your look on the go. Just be careful not to poke an eye out!  Suggestions for on the go looks: TRESemme Hair Products in travel sizes, NYC Chubby Eyeshadow Pencils

Eat Well

Don’t say it. We all know Grab n’ Go and Val may not have the most desired food this week. BUT you can take matters into your own hands.  When you are downing those four cups of coffee to stay awake, try substituting your sugar.  You don’t need both caffeine and the extra calories, you can pick your poison. Opt for salads covered in beans and other sources of protein to energize you  and skip dessert which will only slow you down. After you finish your heavy schedule, take the B43 to Chipotle.  The haven for students. You can enjoy a nice burrito bowl with enough brain power to push you through the weekend.

Take Care of Yourself

You may feel the sniffles coming on the moment your stress level hits its ultimate high.  Run to CVS and grab Cold-EEZE to prevent the cold. If it’s already too late, don’t worry. Drink some hot lemon tea with honey to soothe a throat.  Remember to drink plenty of fluids and where the proper layers.  Go to bed as early as possible and ask loved ones for help if you need to grab anything from the store. Take a break and watch a funny YouTube video. Just laugh for no reason to raise your spirits. Remember your health comes first, then your studies.

Direct Your Attention Elsewhere

Do It Yourself projects can be quick, fun and relaxing.  Martha Stewart has great tips for decorating your room, a picture frame or a card to send to your friend. These things can brighten someone else’s day while changing your outlook on yours. If you really enjoy helping others, there are many opportunities where your love of baking and fashion design can help other people around the world.

Remember that this is just one week and then it’s Fall Break. You can make it through.  Just keep your chin up and kill it, because that’s what Amherst Students do!

Because we want to help everyone get through this Unofficial Mid-term Week, we will be giving out all of the items described in this article and more tomorrow, Monday October 4th, 2015 from 1pm-2pm.  We also have special gifts for previous Her Campus Contributors.  Come say hi, get candy and get free stuff.

Happy Sunday everyone.

HCxo,

Your Friendly Neighborhood HC Amherst

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.