Holiday Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

So now that it is December, we can officially start talking about holiday fashion, yay! To me, the holidays mean sparkles, poufy skirts, and bows.  Obviously, the holidays may mean something different to you, and that’s probably a good thing…! Whatever your definition is, it’s important to keep in mind that it is easy to go slightly overboard, and sometimes that is totally okay! But, there are certainly some soirees that call for a more sophisticated dress code. If this is the case, try and pick one area to highlight. That could be your poufy skirt, or a bright red dress, or even sparkly heels, but in order to look and feel polished, try and restrain yourself as best you can, this is also a note to self.

Okay, here are some holiday trends for you try out! My personal favorite from this season are fun and fashion-forward pants. These pants come in many shapes, sizes, and patterns, so feel free to play around with them! You could go for a tailored ankle-length pair with ankle boots, or a wide-legged trouser with sky-high heels. For a wide-leg pair, select horizontal pin stripes or any longer pattern, to really elongate your figure. If you chose a tailored pair, you can have fun with a shiny or floral print. Pair either pant with a more demure top. This doesn’t mean you can’t have any fun upstairs, but the top should complement the pant, not compete with it. A sheen crop-top is always a safe bet. It can be white, cream, or in the same color palate as your pants. You could also look for a fitted jacket for a sophisticated pairing. Choosing a jacket would help to make the pants more formal as well.

If you are going to a more formal event and pants aren’t quite your style, opt for a sleek and shiny shift dress (say that five times fast!) Shift dresses seem to show in every season, so why stop now! Shift dresses are usually not particularly fitted and go best with a heel to accentuate your legs. I would also suggest black tights for a formal dinner or party this time of year. I also love long-sleeved dresses during the winter. These can also come in any shape and size, but keep in mind that if you want your look to be a bit flashier, you should look for one that hits in your mid-thigh. You could also look for one with a fuller skirt, because who doesn’t love to twirl! Also, nothing says the holidays like a classic red a-line dress. Toss in a silvery belt or bow, baby you got it goin’ on.

I also find the holidays to be a great time to experiment with make-up. I suggest practicing in your free time a bit before the big night. When you are prepping for an exciting party or event, it is easy to rush or for your face to be flushed if you are excited or nervous, making your make-up slightly trickier. But, if you’ve had a change to practice, like say while putting off that final paper, you are sure to create a jaw-dropping look every time! So, because it is winter, the smoky-eye look is in play. But, for the holidays you can revamp that traditional style by using metallic shadows. The principle is still the same, medium shadows on the lid, darker in the crease, and then lighter highlighter shadows up towards your brow line. The only change is your shadows should have a shine to them, you can also use a sparkly dark shadow as an eye liner- just dampen a ultrathin eye brush and swipe a layer across your upper lash line and voila, a metallic smoky-eye! P.S- leave your cheeks and lips nude to make your eyes really stand out!

Just remember gals, have fun with what you wear! Happy Dressing!!            

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C