The History of April Fool’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Happy April Fools!

Ah, April Fools Day. The one day where you can’t trust your favorite fast food chains, news outlets or friends.  You may wonder, as you keep peering over your shoulder, how did this holiday even start in the first place?

We’re actually not quite sure.  April Fools day dates centuries in many different cultures.  My favorite theory is that it occurred when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar in 1582. April Fools was the term for everyone who continued to live as though it was March and April instead of the new date of January 1st.  It’s like daylight savings or jetlag except everyone in the country is on the right schedule except you, ouch.

There’s another speculation that April Fools is linked to Mother Nature’s ever-changing weather at this time.  Since we had hail yesterday, I’m also willing to believe this theory. (I thought it was Spring ;-;)

As far as pranks go, we see some of the classic pranks dating back to 18th century Scotland.  For them, it was a two-day event.  The first day was sending people on phony errands and the second day involved any kind of butt prank (kick me signs, pin tail signs etc.) Let’s be grateful there isn’t a common consensus on how to prank!

Regardless of how you celebrate April Fools, we hope this Saturday is as good as any other.  Be safe out there.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.