Halloween Decor Made Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

It’s finally that time of the year! Look around and you will see knee-high boots and knit cardigans making their presence on campus, along with the dazzling shades of color, ranging from dark burgundy lipstick to vibrant orange leaves. The beauty of fall is embraced with the always-so-welcoming smell of pumpkin spice, paired with delicious and hot cider. And, best of all, Halloween is coming up! Thinking about how to up the look of your dorm room to Level Autumn? Here are 5 simple DIY projects to consider:

Those lost pinecones on the sidewalks can be put to great use! All you need is rope/twine, wooden beads, scissors, a hot glue gun, and, of course, pine cones. The spacing of everything can be completely customized to your liking. At the end, this garland will certainly add an elegant touch to your room. Thanks to the blog A Beautiful Mess for this idea! 

Instead of carving pumpkins, you can add a little twist this year. This craft project blends the painting tradition of Easter with the classical pumpkins of Halloween. Taking the best of two worlds! You can be as creative as you want; you are not limited to just paint. You can use glitter paint, metallic paint, glow in the dark paint, lace, sequins, etc. Go crazy! 

Wreaths are perfect for decorating your doors, and they can be found at relatively cheap prices. To add the Halloween element, all you need is string, scissors, and some time. If spiders can weave webs, you can, too! Start off with a basic frame (one vertical length and one horizontal), and then you weave the thread around in a spiral and wrap the thread every time you get to the one of the supporting strands from the base. You can practice the basics first, and once you think you’ve got it down, you can try out a more advanced frame with more supporting strands. And the wreath can be purple! Way to show Halloween AND Amherst spirit at the same time!  (How do you hang it up without using nails? Command hooks! Check out this link for a useful hack: http://www.prettydubs.com/2013/10/how-to-hang-door-wreath-without-nails.html)

Make use of pressed leaves or fake leaves and clean mason jars to make gorgeous room decorations. With some Mod Podge magic and a couple flicks of your sponge brush wand, layer these leaves on top of each other to make a gorgeous array of colors. Finish the look with a twine or rafia bow. Can you imagine how cute these jars will look on your desk? 

Black construction paper+Bat template+Scissors+Tape=Really cool wall decor

Play up your walls this Halloween with swooping bats! You can even save yourself time by folding the paper in half and then cutting the template out. Feel free to experiment with variations in the angles and sizes.   

And there you have it! We hope that you (and your room) have a fantastic Halloween this year! 

Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her. 
Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C