‘Endless Love’; mmmm Alex Pettyfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

The list of cheesy and romantic dramas is pretty long, but Endless Love definitely deserves to be placed on the top because of its ability to pull the audience in and not let go until the last scene. Many of us are big fans of the Nicholas Sparks books and movies, as well as other classics like Love Actually and When Harry Met Sally; Endless Love leaves a similar long-lasting impression.  Maybe Valentine’s Day got to me, or maybe the fact that I watched this movie in a theater filled with intimate young couples while I sat there

jokingly holding my best friend’s hand, but for whatever reason, the movie was raw and emotional and if I have to admit it—although I think it may have worn off a bit—I walked out believing in “endless love.”

Without spoiling too much, Endless Love tells the story of recent high school graduates Jade Butterfield and David Elliot, and their instant summer love affair.  Of course, Jade and David come from very different families—Jade comes from a very wealthy family and worked her butt off in school to follow in her father’s footsteps and become a doctor, while David has limited plans for his future other than working in his single father’s auto repair shop.  Sounds like quite a compatible match, huh?  Let’s not forget though that both Jade (Gabriella Wilde) and David (Alex Pettyfer) are absolutely gorgeous, look great together, and are completely and utterly in love.  Sounds perfect.  Unfortunately for Jade and David, Jade’s father is particularly opposed to their relationship and does everything in his power to keep his innocent and once obedient daughter away from David.  Unlike you and me, Mr. Butterfield is definitely not David’s biggest supporter.

If you are currently on the chick flick grind, you will probably ask yourself, “Hey, does this not sound familiar?”  It definitely does!  The movie reminds us of Nicholas Sparks’ The Last Song, which staged Liam Hemsworth as the son of a wealthy Southern family and Miley Cyrus as the alternative, shoplifting teenager from New York.  After watching Endless Love, I have come to realize that yes, The Last Song is a love story, but it is more about the strained relationship between Miley’s character and her dying father.  Endless Love, on the other hand, is a true love story.  Jade and David just simply do not work when they are apart.  My eleventh grade self was a big fan of Miley and Liam, but I find myself today a believer in Jade and David.  The on-screen chemistry between Jade and David is unbeatable.  Unfortunately, Gabriella Wilde (Jade) and Alex Pettyfer’s (David) relationship in the movie does not continue off-screen.  Both Pettyfer and Wilde are actually engaged in real life, but to other people.  What a shame!  (They would have beautiful babies.)

While Jade and David fell in love with one another, I think it is safe to say that the audience fell in love with them too.  As my friend aptly describes her, Gabriella Wilde was an “angel” in the movie.  From her beautifully crafted hairstyles and wardrobe choices to her sweet and sensual demeanor, Wilde definitely won over the hearts of the viewers.  I think that many of the girls in the audience wanted to be her for Wilde was simply charming.  Alex Pettyfer as David was not too bad to look at either.  From an alien in I Am Number Four to his sexy role as a male stripper in Magic Mike, Alex Pettyfer was even more attractive in Endless Love.  Although flawed, David was a romantic, caring, and loving boyfriend.  Jade was extremely lucky to claim him as her first and endless love.  Adding to his attraction, David was a very sensitive character who visibly struggled with his feelings and emotions.  Ask yourself this: Is it possible not to be moved by Alex Pettyfer’s tears?

Endless Love was definitely an emotional rollercoaster for the characters and the audience alike.  I found myself smiling from ear to ear for about the first third of the movie, but was emotionally unsettled for a majority of the rest of the film, especially for the heart-racing ending.  I can honestly say that I have never felt so emotionally invested in an on-screen relationship, not even for The Notebook.  We knew that Noah and Allie would ultimately be together as hinted by the flash-forwards to the couple in the present.  With David and Jade, we never know what will happen next.  To be fair, the title of the movie has “endless” in it, so there is clearly a lifetime of love between them to come, but this love was built up so masterfully that to see it challenged really just pulls at our hearts.  

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.