Eco-Friendly Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

As Earth Day (April 22nd) approaches I would like to talk about some environmentally conscious initiatives taken on by several design houses and retailers. I love clothes, and I like to think that I stay relatively on-trend from season to season, but this way of life is not particularly kind to the planet. It requires enormous amounts of resources, both renewable and un-renewable. If you are passionate about living sustainably then clothing is a great way to live in an eco-friendly fashion, pun intended entirely. After all, fashion is all about expressing yourself, so let’s talk about ways to show your love for all things green!

Personally, I like to think that being environmentally friendly is an easy thing to do. For many people, though, this is not the case. It is hard to think about all the time, so let me make it simple for you, just reach into your closest and pick out your favorite top! Ok, well unfortunately you have to get it first, but after that being eco friendly will be easy as pie.

Perhaps the best place to start would be H&M. Their Conscious Collection is full of the basics that H&M is famous for, as well as some trendy and great looking pieces- um hello the ‘Lyocell-blend Coat’ is unreal. What makes H&M’s collection conscious is their emphasis on using “resources responsibly, considering the needs of both present and future generations”.  Their website goes into detail about the ways they conserve water, electricity, and reduce fossil fuels needed for transportation. Wearing H&M’s Conscious Collection is a super easy to way to stay trendy and do a little something for the Earth.

Aside from their controversial, and sometimes kind of gross advertising, American Apparel has worked towards being an environmentally conscious brand since its inception in 1998. American Apparel famously does not import its clothing from overseas factories. This reduces their carbon footprint by requiring less transportation. They also use solar panels on their factories in California. Another brand full of basics, American Apparel should probably not be the only place you shop, but they are perfect for theme parties… my mind immediately jumps to the ever popular gold skater dress which can be used for anything from an 80s party to a futuristic one.

If you are looking for a high fashion label that makes sustainable and beautiful clothing, then Stella McCartney is your gal. Stella McCartney is a vegan clothing line, abstaining from leather and fur, but she has also shown shoes that feature biodegradable soles. This brand also uses organic cotton and recycled metals. Another eco-friendly brand is New York City’s Carrie Parry. New to the scene in 2011, Carrie Perry began their line with the desire to make environmentally conscious clothing that is also wearable and trendy. Carrie Parry won the Ethical Fashion Forum’s Innovation Award in 2011, so this brand is definitely a go to for eco-friendly. Their collection of blouses and shirts is on-trend for this spring, and can add some sophistication to anyone’s wardrobe.

This Earth Day, I hope all of us collegiettes can work towards a sustainable future while also wearing some kick-ass clothes! 

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C