Come As You Are: Amherst College Athlete Bible Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Peeling wallpaper and florescent lighting characterize my favorite place on campus. However, I am not talking about the Socials. I am referring to Moore, specifically the common room, tucked away and only known for its close proximity to Val. Despite its lack of aesthetic appeal, this room to me is decorated by memories of laughter, honesty, relief and comfort. Every Tuesday, since my freshman year, I go to Moore for “Athletes’ Bible Study” or “ABS.” At this weekly meeting, we discuss a passage from the Bible and pray at the end. But, ABS is much, much more.

In college, life can be stressful, fun, crazy and often destabilizing. At Amherst, we are forced outside of our comfort zone all the time and given opportunity to grow and learn. For me, ABS is a weekly chance to take a moment to relax and rejuvenate. It’s a moment to be with people who let me be myself without expectations or stereotypes. In my freshman year, I joined ABS with my twin because the leader of the group was a senior friend on her Cross Country team. The group was tiny but we bonded. I came to trust the other members and look to for their support and guidance, both spiritual and not. Sophomore year, me and my current co-leaders assumed our leadership role and found ourselves in a position to revive and reinvent the group. Suddenly, we were inviting everyone we knew and working actively to expand the group. Our goal was, and is, to create a community, place for people to hang out and have fun together and hopefully get something tangible out of it too.

As a disclaimer, the “athletes” part of the title is deceptive. The group welcomes anyone and everyone, both athletes and non and we don’t care if a person is either. ABS is not about accomplishments or talent, its about coming as you are. That also means that it doesn’t matter if a person is Christian or just curious about Christianity or just wants to hang out with a community of great people. The leaders, myself, Caroline Rose, Katie Reilly and Chris Gow, believe in the Apostle’s Creed and that the Gospel, which is laid out in the New Testament, is truth and good news worth sharing. However, we do not expect anyone who comes to ABS to believe that, rather we just want people open to participate in a conversation with us, with mutual respect.

I believe my role as leader of ABS is one the most important and worthwhile ways I spend my time at Amherst. Trying to balance being a leader of a ministry with college life has been difficult, and I don’t want to underrate its challenge. I am conscious of how I act and am perceived in all aspects of my life, trying to hold myself to a high standard where I often fail. However, for this reason I love and need ABS because it reminds me that I will always be human and that’s ok. We truly believe in the philosophy “come as you are” and if you ever are looking for something to do on a Tuesday night please find us in Moore and do just that. 

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C