This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Coachella is arguably one of the most popular music festivals in the country.  It attracts thousands of people to its location in Indio, California, including many celebrities who are thrown into the public eye for hours.  (For people like me, this is great—we get the inside scoop and see who is really dating!)  Of course Coachella is a music and arts festival with top headliners and great acts, but it is also known for fashion statements.  From simple high-waisted jean shorts and fun tanks to flower-child-esque wardrobe choices and even gothic-inspired clothing, the attire worn at Coachella runs the gamut of fashion and style.  With one weekend down and another yet to come, here are some of the hits and misses from last week’s Coachella. 

Selena Gomez had an interesting wardrobe choice when she opted for a long white sheer dress.  Oddly enough, she wore it over a pair of white shorts and a very visible black bra.  If you wanted to wear a pair of cute white shorts, why wear a floor-length dress over it?  Also, sheer is great, especially when it is warm and sunny, but I do not think a black bra was the right choice. Selena could have chosen a more neutral-colored bra or worn a fun bandeau or even a bikini, since the dress was practically a bathing suit cover-up.  All in all, the dress-shorts combination was kind of weird.

“Keeping up with the Kardashians” is one of my guilty pleasures and I actually think that Kendall and Kylie are pretty cool teenagers with great wardrobes.  They even have their own clothing line!  Apparently their casual, yet trendy look on Friday of jean shorts, tank tops, and booties did not do it for them, for they arrived in head-to-toe gothic attire on Saturday.  They both wore black shorts and black strapless tops, and Kendall topped it off with a lace, cape-like sweater, which only added to the scariness factor.  I am pretty sure that Kendall’s hair was crimped as well.  Are we back in the ‘90s?  Anyway, Coachella takes place in the hot desert.  Why would they wear all black to the festival with heavy jewelry?  There was also a lot of buzz over Kendall Jenner’s large hoop nose ring that she wore on Sunday.  It was practically larger than her nose!  I do not have a problem with nose piercings, but they should be contained to a reasonable size.  There was no need for such a large distraction to her face.  If the Jenners plan on returning to Coachella next weekend, they should add the boho vibe back into their wardrobe.

One of my least favorite outfit choices was Katy Perry’s two-piece floral silhouette.  The crop top she wore would be cool on its own, especially if paired with a pair of fringed high-waisted shorts, but the skirt was an awkward length with side-slits that did not do it for me.  I think that the slip underneath looked funny at a shorter length and it was just not flattering.  Maybe if the skirt were shorter to meet the hem of the slip or if the skirt were longer and perhaps to the floor, the outfit would work better.

Although there were some interesting and unflattering wardrobe choices, there were definitely many hits at Coachella last weekend.  In particular, I really like the black floral print romper that Kate Bosworth wore on Saturday.  It has a great cutout in the mid-section, which is a cool touch since the romper is relatively modest in the chest area.  We usually see cutouts on the sides or in the back, but one in the mid-section is a nice addition.  When I do my summer shopping I will definitely be on the lookout for front cutouts.  They seem ideal as a cross between an ordinary top and a crop top!

I personally think that Dianna Agron looked great all weekend.  On Friday, she wore a printed Mara Hoffman waist cutout tea length dress that was form flattering and modest.  I have never really considered going tea length on a dress before, but it was really working for her!  Later on, she wore a black crop top and skirt and paired it with a funky and colorful, grandpa-like sweater.  Apparently chunky sweaters go great with skin-tight undergarment-like clothing!  Props girl!

People often refer to Vanessa Hudgens as “the Queen of Coachella,” and this past weekend was no exception.  My personal favorite was the red romper that she wore over a black bikini.  From the large floppy hat to her adorable black booties and chunky, sparkly jewelry, Hudgens was bohemian chic from head-to-toe.  Everything about the look was great and suggests that big hats and an eclectic assortment of jewelry can be great additions to your summer wardrobe.

Lastly, let’s not forget about the trendy guys at Coachella.  Jared Leto immediately comes to mind, with his long, ombre hair.  Leto wore a pair of skintight, zebra-printed pants on Saturday, and you know what?  He totally rocked them.  What do you think; can other guys pull off the animal print?  How about the ladies?  I wonder if there will be more animal print worn for the second weekend of Coachella or if we will see more print in summer collections.  Also, will the gothic looks and enormous nose rings be replaced with more flattering dresses/rompers and other bohemian silhouettes?  Be sure to check out YouTube for the Coachella performances this weekend and keep an eye out for celebrities and their outfit choices!

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C