Choosing a Major:  Mixing it Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

I think the option to have an interdisciplinary major is not talked about enough and rarely done here at Amherst, but it is an option nevertheless. Interdisciplinary majors combine two or more academic disciplines into one activity (e.g., a research project). It is about creating something new by crossing boundaries, and thinking across them.  When I came across the interdisciplinary major option after researching majors here, but not finding one that “fit like a glove,” I was so happy and excited—I started researching example of interdisciplinary majors, what departments they usually require, and what Amherst requires for one to undergo an interdisciplinary major.  Amherst’s requirements can be found at this link:  https://www.amherst.edu/academiclife/departments/interdisciplinary-major-program .  Some examples of interdisciplinary majors are:  Business, Communications, Cultural Performance, Business and Political Exchange, Holistic Views of Human Health, Bioethics, Artistic Leadership, Biological Humanities, etc.  More can be found by googling ‘interdisciplinary major examples’ or by clicking this link:  https://louisville.edu/liberalstudies/prospective-majors/designing-a-program/example-programs .  Choosing to undergo an interdisciplinary major is not for everyone and should only be used so that you can get out of studying something but so that you can specify your studies if you already know what it is you really want to study.  It is also helpful if you have a thesis or project in mind that your interdisciplinary studies will contribute to in your Senior year.

Currently, I am a Dance/Theater and Spanish double major, but I believe I want to declare an interdisciplinary major in Communications.  It has been a long journey in figuring out what I want my interdisciplinary major to be; In the past, I have proposed an Arts Communications, a Philosophy of Dance/Movement, and (my very first proposal) a PhiloSocio Humanities and Composition interdisciplinary major. I know what interests me:   Dance, English, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, and Business. I narrowed all of this down to a Business or Communications major, and I am now currently in the process of declaring a Communications (interdisciplinary) major, and double majoring in Spanish (for which I am already a major). No, a Business or Communications major is not a crazy, kooky major proposal like my previous proposals, but it is a concept easier for those who need to approve it to grasp versus, say, PhiloSocio Humanities and Composition.  I thought that because the name sounded complex, I could not get enough advisors to sign on to my first three proposals, so maybe if I make it simple, people will be more willing to advise it.  I will still do all that I would have done with the other three proposals, just under a more simplified and comprehensible title.

If you’re still looking for a major, whether it is to choose or re-choose (like me), consider an interdisciplinary major. You can combine many of your passions and engage in a number of departments that you love, while diversifying your studies.  From my experience, it is not an easy process to becoming an interdisciplinary major, but I will say that I do not regret my decision.  I would rather go through the process than spend the rest of my undergrad years choosing a major that does not quite fit what I want to study/my interests or satisfy my intellectual curiosity. 

Miss Black America Massachusetts 2018; Founder/CEO of Born to Be Unique Consulting, Ordinary x Influence, and To Save a Life Nonprofit; Author of Myth of the Self Made; Crimson Education Consultant Hello! I am a social entrepreneur, speaker, author, & motivational speaker (currently open to be booked for interviews, speaking and event hosting) with a love for Yahweh (God), life, dancing, Christian Ministry, natural beauty, modest fashion, social justice, learning and education, art, service work, travel, nature, business, a good bargain or sale, and helping people to live their "best" lives by leading by example. Follow me on instagram: @rock_n_rawrrr and visit my website to learn more about me and my work at: www.ordinaryxinfluence.weebly.com
Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her.