Campus Profile Ludia Ock ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

When I first met Ludia, I had no idea she was a first year.  She approached everyone with a genuine smile and radiating with confidence.  When you speak to her, you can feel that she is truly listening. I’m not surprised that she was nominated for Campus Profile and if you don’t know her, get to know her with HC Amherst!

Tell me about where are you from:

The worst and most common situation I find myself in is when people ask me where I’m from and I tell them that I’m from New York and they follow up with: No, but where are you REALLY from? So to answer that follow-up question, I’m REALLY from the sacrifices that my family made to come to America about twenty years ago. I’m from the smell of Korean food that permeated the house as my grandmother hustled around the kitchen every night. I’m from the family road trips to various parts of the United States which were supposed to help us feel a bit more American. I’m from the unavoidable shame that hits me when my mother speaks to my friends in her broken English: from the anger that engulfs me when waiters or cashiers sigh in frustration at her accent. I’m from the intersection of two worlds: an America that views me as a perpetual foreigner and a foreign country that my immigrant family members most closely identify with.

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

The weather in Amherst is really similar to the weather in New York, so I can’t complain.

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

I was choosing between two schools and couldn’t come to a decision, so I flipped a coin. Amherst was heads and the other school was tails. When the coin landed on tails, I felt the tiniest bit of unease and knew that I had to come to Amherst.

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?: 

I’m fascinated by Asian American studies, diasporas, the visual arts, the role that trauma plays in social healing, and how all of these topics intersect. So, for instance, I’m interested in how art can be used to support and empower victims of trauma, or how the trauma that Japanese Americans faced after being incarcerated in internment camps created an overwhelming culture of silence. I love so many things: reading, writing, doodling, creating things, doing nothing, doing everything, etc. I enjoy television, sitting idly in moving vehicles, and eating anything that is or contains chocolate.

What are you passionate about the most?: 

Self-care; Self-love; Self-growth; Being supportive; Chocolate; Sleep; Mochi; Frozen Yogurt topped with mochi; Laughing; Lights; Sparkly things 

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond: 

I plan to be involved in the fight for more Asian American Studies courses at Amherst while I’m here. I hope to be a part of initiatives to build stronger communities on campus and support students who feel isolated or lonely. I want to travel as much as I can, especially with my grandma. We went to London and Paris over Spring Break and it was great! I want to travel as much as I can and get to know tons of people! 

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?:

Playful: The dining hall should have small bite-sized mochi toppings.

Serious: The dining hall should have small bite-sized mochi toppings. 

What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?: 

Always forgive yourself.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.