Campus Profile Kevin Dooley ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Kevin Dooley ’19 was nominated by 26 of his peers for Campus Profile.  We think that it is fitting that he would be our last Campus Profile of the year.  Get to know Kevin with HC Amherst! 

Tell me about where are you from:

I’m from a mid-sized town called Pittsford outside Rochester, NY.  It’s a pretty quiet area, known mostly for its schools, having Wegmans’ flagship store, and its golf courses.  We actually hosted the PGA Championship a couple years ago, which was one of the cooler things to happen here recently.

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

Pittsford and Amherst are at about the same latitude so it’s pretty similar.  We get some lake effect snow from Lake Ontario, but that’s really the only major difference.  Can’t say the weather in either place is ideal for me though.  The amount of snow we got even this year at Amherst is enough for me.

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

Liberal Arts colleges in general really appealed to me, and Amherst provided a great blend of academics with the cross country and track programs here.  It ended up coming down to Amherst and Williams, so I chose the obviously superior school.

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

Lately, academically, I’ve really been enjoying English and Music here.  Right now I’m interested in majoring in Economics or English with a possible double in Music or Spanish, so hopefully I can figure that out next year.  Outside of class, I enjoy making music.  I play trumpet in the jazz ensemble here and then make electronic music on my own.

What are you passionate about the most?:

I’d say I’m most passionate about making my own music.  I’ve been producing hip hop beats for a couple years now, dabbling a little in rapping, and it just keeps getting more and more fun.  Even if I don’t get a music-related job after Amherst, I’m really hoping I can keep on doing it in some form.

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:

At Amherst, just staying on the grind and working on figuring out my major next year.  Hopefully from there I’ll be able to develop a good plan for how I want to spend the rest of my time here, and then from there I can get a better idea of where I want to head after graduation.

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?:

Have George Lucas confirm the obvious truth that the “Darth Jar Jar” Star Wars theory is real.

What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?: 

“The Buffalo Bills are in the playoffs!”

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.