Campus Profile Jane Pierre ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Jane Pierre ’17 is kind, light-hearted and funny.  She is one of the kindest people I know, so it is no surprise she is Campus Profile.  Get to know her with HC Amherst!

Tell me about where are you from:

I’m originally from Haiti. Born there and raised for seven and a half years :) I remember having mango and banana trees in our backyard, worshipping at church with friends and neighbors, raising or rather playing with chickens, walking streets with lots of garbage and pigs to go to school, and family gatherings at night. I came to the U.S. for the first time in 2004, went back to Haiti, and then returned to the U.S. in 2006 as a permanent resident.  

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

The weather was hot!! Rain sometimes.  

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

Need-blind financial aid; little Ivy; natural beauties; small 

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

I’m interested in linguistics, counter-narratives, Christianity, Bible exegesis, nutrition, the Black Diaspora 

What are you passionate about the most?:

I’m most passionate about Youth Ministry, specifically in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. I’m a leader (still growing!) in Pathfinders, a world wide youth organization and a campus ministry leader in training.

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:

To continue and create an awesome thesis project on Black Seventh-day Adventist immigrants and U.S. racial politics. As for beyond, God only knows. 

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?:

Enraged people

What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?:

I’ve said this but very rarely – “I love you”

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.