Campus Celebrity Shalini Menon ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity was voted by the Amherst Class of 2017.  Everyone who voted said one person: the beautiful, intelligent and talented Shalini Menon.  She graciously accepted our invitation to be this week’s Campus Celeb.  In her interview, she talks about life in Bangalore, why she chose Amherst, the coolest things she’s ever done and more!

Where are you from?

I am from Bangalore, which is a city in the south of India,

Can you tell us a little more about Bangalore?

I was adopted when I was 3 months old. I am the youngest in a really big family; so I was always the one who got my way, but I was also the  one who  got teased the most! I have two brothers and one sister.

Why did you choose Amherst?

I applied to a lot of liberal arts colleges, but my cousin went to Amherst and he had told be about Amherst’s supportive environment and approachable professors. I’m really glad I chose Amherst.

What was the biggest culture shock coming to the States?

My brothers and sister studied abroad as well, and I had heard a lot about college from them, so I wasn’t really shocked by anything in particular. But I love the States! I am visually impaired and I find it a lot easier to be independent here. I also love how warm and friendly everyone is at Amherst!

What do you miss most about home?

Indian food!!!!

What are you passionate about?

I love music. I play the piano and the recorder and I love to sing. As far as academics go, I’m really passionate about Math. Amherst’s math department is amazing!!

What was the coolest thing you’ve ever done?

This might seem ordinary to most of you, but I’m sure you would all agree that it’s pretty cool for a girl who’s blind to have had the chance to drive a car when she was 12. (Wow!!!)

What’s something you look forward to doing during your time here at Amherst?

Amherst has so much to offer that I don’t really know yet.

Do you have any future plans for the summer? What about for after Amherst?

I am going back home for the summer, but I will be doing some financial work for an event-planning firm. I don’t really know what I’d like to do after Amherst, but I’d like to get into something that involves math or Economics.

What’s something about Shalini not well known?

I have a phobia for any insect that buzzes – especially beetles and flies.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.