Campus Celebrity Saul Grullon ’15

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Saul Grillon ’15.  This week’s Campus Celebrity was already featured on the Amherst website for his astounding story telling at New England’s Valley Voices story slam in September.  We recommend you read the article to read snippets of his moving speech. We also invited him to have a more lighthearted chat with us here, to share with all of you.  Enjoy!

Where you are from? I was born in the Dominican Rep, but I lived in the bronx (NY) for 13 years and Newark (NJ) for 8. So, I usually just say I’m from the tri-state area.

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home? The weather at Amherst compare to my home areas is brutally cold.

Why did you choose Amherst?:  I choose Amherst College because I wanted to enhance my english writing skills and interact with other folks are interested in the spanish diaspora. I also wanted to establish meaningful relationships with my peers, staff, and administrators here and there was no better place to do that than a small liberal arts college like Amherst.

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:  Academically, I’m into social linguistics, immigration laws, and secondary education administration, but I am into public speaking, theatrical performances, non-fictional writing and classic RPG games like Chrono Trigger and and the Final fantasy series.

What are you passionate about the most?: I would have to say encouraging students not to give up on finding their niche, giving them a reason to look forward to despite personal troglodytes.

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond?: My personal endeavor is to perfect my thesis play and focus on the productions aspects of it, but I also plan on visiting in every building we own in town so that I don’t have regrets after I graduate. More importantly, I plan on reminiscing on my best days at Amherst as I stare at the memorial hill view that I will brag about where I go.

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?: I would make it seriously-funny: No seriously, try to find the humor element in everything that you do, in your own space of-course.

What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it? Wow! I really want to say that there is no such thing as evil people–I am 100% sure that there is a redeeming quality in every that you’ve interacted with, or someone you’ve heard terrible things about; you just got to give yourself the chance to approach them and the time to see

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.