Campus Celebrity Mindy Kim ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet Mindy Kim’17, this week’s Campus Celebrity.  While she maybe unsure about what to say when someone asks where she’s from, when it comes to gender equality she has endless and passionate words.

Tell me about where you are from:

I usually say I am from Michigan because it’s easy and simple. However, I was born in Korea, and I went to Canada when I was seven. After becoming a Canadian citizen, I moved to Michigan in middle school. Last year, I became American as well. So… I guess I’m a Korean-Canadian with Michigan mixed somewhere in there?

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

I love the unpredictable, extreme weather that we get in Massachusetts and Michigan. I think Michigan is a little bit colder and has more snow, but all around the same. 

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

I chose Amherst because I didn’t want to live in the mountains for four years at Williams. 

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

I’m very interested in medicine, and that’s largely what I think about these days. However, I love playing rugby at Amherst and playing clarinet here and there. 

What are you passionate about the most?:

I am most passionate about gender equality across all sectors in society, in particular education at high academic positions. I hope to be part of the movement that enables women to feel empowered and to strive for high-quality education in all fields. That’s why I decided to be part of Association for Women in Science. I aspire to be part of academic medicine and to mentor many young women along the way to have high expectations for themselves. 

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:

I’m going to keep working hard in class and enjoying the many opportunities that Amherst provides me. I also hope to learn and to grow from conversing with more Amherst students, faculty, and alums. The Amherst network is the best part of Amherst! 

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?:

I would make cat and dog cafes as readily available as Starbucks. 

What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?:

If anyone ever wants to have a sushi buddy, please hit me up! 

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.