Campus Celebrity Irma Zamora ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is the Class of 2017’s Irma Zamora. Get to know her with us as she tells you about her home, her many activities on campus and a little advice everyone should know!

Tell me about where are you from?:

I’m come from a sunny, windy, warm city in California–Santa Ana . It’s in the Center of Orange County in the middle of everything. I’m the perfect distance from LA and San Diego and all the great amusement parks–Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knott’s Berry Farm, etc. etc. AND all the sports stadiums, not to mention that I could easily go to the desert, beach, and mountains (where there’s snow sometimes) on a good winter day. #SApride

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

Ah, the weather. Here it’s FREEZING compared to California. Last year, was a rough one, it certainly put into perspective the real definition of cold for me and proved to me that I am truly a Californian. I had to wear so many layers. Also, the summers here are so humid compared to back home. That can also be a hassle sometimes. However, there’s no place to experience fall like the Northeast, so fall’s my favorite season here for sure!

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

There are many reasons I decided to come. First of all, I got in here through QuestBridge meaning I get really great financial aid from the school Also, I had talked to an admissions representative at a conference and she had explained that I could really get involved in music here even if I didn’t major in it, which sounded great to me! Finally, I really wanted to experience the seasons and see actual snow in real life. In retrospect, that last reason may not have been thoroughly thought out.

What’s are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

Well, I originally planned to major in Chemistry or Biochemistry, but I’m in the middle of rethinking that at the moment. I really love chemistry, but Organic Chemistry–which I’m taking right now–is really making me rethink how much I love it. I still think I may major in it along with Spanish. I don’t really ever have much time for leisure, but when I do, I mostly like to catch up on my sleep or maybe watch a soccer game or How to Get Away With Murder. (Yes, I’m a fan.)

Tell me more about your hobbies:

My hobbies… I play viola, though I should probably practice more often. I am secretary of La Causa, the Latino affinity group on campus. La Causa really has consumed a lot of my life–in a good way. I like organizing events, be it a party, a dinner, or a meeting (which we have every Wednesday at 9 p.m. in the Jose Marti room, you all should come!) Besides this, most the people on Eboard have become like my family and I’m glad I decided to join as a freshman, since I can only make my college family bigger. I also work for El Arco Irirs, which is a tutoring and mentoring program in Holyoke. I absolutely love this job, the kids I tutor/mentor and working with the people I do.  I would encourage anyone to join!

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:

I am currently in the  midst of my reconsideration phase, AKA a mid-college-life crisis. However, if I stick with my current plans, I think I want to be a teacher, maybe even a professor, in Chemistry or Spanish. As for plans in Amherst, I just hope to survive my remaining 2 and a half years and enjoy myself as much as I can.

What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?:

This may turn a bit somber, so I apologize in advance. A couple weeks ago, my friend passed away. We never actually said goodbye before I came back to Amherst, so I would have said bye to him and told him: tu sonrisa, tus chises, y tu presencia siempre alegraban mi dia, siempre te tendre en mi corazon.

On that note, to all my friends, I want to say thanks for putting up with me and for making my life here easier. It’s because of you guys that I keep on smiling, even on those crappy days.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.