Campus Celeb: Claire Castellano ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

1) Grade, dorm, major             

I am a Junior, Biology major, living in Hitchcock dorm.

2) How did you get involved with peer advocates? 

My first-year RC, Jacqueline Cosse, was a Peer Advocate. Although the idea of being a Peer Advocate really appealed to me, I had no idea what exactly that meant. Jackie explained how the Peer Advocates are a resource group on campus: acting as both an outlet for individuals to talk through questions or concerns they had regarding sexual respect and as a presence for the community as a whole to promote an environment of respect and awareness through campus wide programming and events. The Peer Advocates hosted a “hooking up” workshop for my freshman year dorm; after attending the workshop, I decided to apply.  

3) what has been your favorite part about it so far?

One of the first, and best, parts about being a Peer Advocate was my experience of training. During interterm of my first-year, I went through a week-long training with the other new Peer Advocates

Although the days were long and intense, they were also extremely moving and fun. I not only learned a wide-ranging skill set to take with me as I moved forward as a Peer Advocate, but also met an amazing set of individuals that I feel grateful to have as friends and peers to work with.

4) what has been most challenging?

In working towards sexual respect, the Peer Advocates inevitable have to deal with the issues of sexual misconduct, sexual and gender based violence, and other tough issues around these ideas. Although I feel equipped to deal with these difficult moments, each discussion of such a topic or event is just as challenging and upsetting as the one before it. 

5) what would you like the Amherst community to know about the Peer Advocates?

Although we are the Peer Advocates for Sexual Respect, we do a lot more than just discussing sexual misconduct. We believe in order to have a safe campus environment driven by respect we must promote a culture of community awareness and support for others. We host “by-stander training” and “casual dating” workshops, have a week devoted to “Healthy Relationships,” and have a day known as “Consent Fest” to try to get all members of the campus involved and aware. 

6) If I wanted to get involved, how could I go about doing that?

Each fall, we release applications for individuals interesting in joining the Peer Advocates. We hang up posters and try our best to advertise when the application is released – so be on the look out! But anyone interested should feel free to stop by Amanda Vann’s office at the Health Center, contact any of the P.A.’s (all current members listed on our Amherst website page https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/health/education/peeradvocates/peer_adv), or email the group at peeradvocate@amherst.edu. We are also always looking for new ideas and groups to collaborate with during the semester !  

7) Tell us a fun fact about yourself!

I use this one so much – I’m not even sure if it is fair to call a “fun fact” anymore – but I have a twin sister who goes to Williams College. 

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C