Building A Bomb Social Life: On- and Off- Campus Weekly ReOccurring Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

1. Sunday

• Bi-semester:  Happening twice a semester during the academic year, Bi-semester offers an African/African-American style worship service followed by yummy soul food (yes, fried or baked chicken, green, cornbread, etc.) YASSS! 1st service happening Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 1 p.m.!
  • Argentine Tango in the Greenway A Space!!!:   Forget what you think you know about the Tango and go learn from the beauty and complications of it from the very passionate (and sexy) Tango instructor, Daniel, every Sunday from 4-6 p.m.
  1. Monday

Mondays don’t have to be a drag.  Be that person that starts their Mondays off right and ends it off right as well by spending it with either Her Campus or Born to Be Unique-C.  Contact sjones19@amherst.edu for more info on Mondays with Her Campus or B2BU-C Monday events and social opportunities!

2. Tuesday

Bachata and Salsa Club at Amherst:  come join in on the fun of learning Salsa and Bachata here at Amherst College! Click here to follow on FB to stay up to date on where the classes are happening, usually O’Connor Commons (Underneath Charles Pratt) at 7 p.m.-9 p.m. Open to all levels.

3. Wednesday

Another day closer to the weekend! But while we’re waiting, let’s make the best of this day! 

Badminton:  Happening every Wednesday in the Alumni Gym with the Badminton Club from 3-5 p.m.  Meet new people, hone your skills, and engage in friendly competition!

Contra Dancing:  Enjoy F.U.N. contra dancing in town for all community members most Wednesdays from 7:30-10:30 p.m. at the Masonic Lodge (two blocks from Amherst College–so walkable distance). Free admission to first time dancers who attend the 7 p.m. intro lesson! Next 3 event dates:

October 4, October 18, and October 25 After your free admission, regular admission fee is $8 for students.

4. Thursday

A.K.A. FriYAY Eve…  Come practice your Spanish at La Tertulia in Newport Dorm, 1st floor common room  from 8 p.m.-9 p.m.  Meet people of all Spanish levels (including none), eat yummy chocolate chip cookies (seriously SOOOO GOOD), and drink authentic coffee and hot-chocolate from Latin America.

5. Friday

When you were having too much fun throughout the week, and you forget that… IT’S THE WEEEEEKEENNNND! (KIND OF)

Archery:  Join the Archery Club members on Friday from 4-7 at a practice range. All levels welcome and is completely F.R.E.E.

American Legion (in Hadley) Latin Night:  Hit the American Legion on Russell Street (about a 5-10 min. drive from Amherst or a 20 minute bus ride) which hosts a Latin dance night for all community members and dance feigns (no experience to advanced) of the Pioneer Valley Community and visitors! Always a fun time with yummy refreshments available and a good mix of salsa, bachata, merengue, chacha, reggaeton and kizomba (an African partner dance). $8 for students with valid student ID, $10 for everyone else

Pizza Nights at Antonio’s: $1 Cheese Slices–Enough Said.

Iron Horse Latin Nights:  FREE ADMISSION; 21+; Get your dance on with members from all over the community who just want to enjoy a night of actual dancing (and for some, show off their new learned skills from Tuesday lessons from our Salsa and Bachata club here)!

B2BU-C (Born to Be Unique in Christ):  Inclusive of all, B2BU-C is not about conversion but rather answering your questions and finding available resources and offering them to help you live a quality life, which involves social events, networking, and job opps! Follow on Facebook to see upcoming events, workshops, open dialogue discussions, movie screenings, etc.

Enough said.

1. Saturday

For all Christians or those who keep the Sabbath, It’s the Sabbath day–the 7th day of the week; the day of R.E.S.T. after 6 days of labor! So Basically, it’s my favorite day of the week to go: 

ACTS Worship Service:  located in the Cadigan Center every Saturday from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. with lunch after, either in the Cadigan or at Berk or Hamp UMASS Dining (free for all ACTS members, and some Saturdays we travel to a church in Florence to fellowship and after have a yummy HOME-MADE potluck lunch and chat with community members).  It’s always a good time, and new people are dropping by every week!  Also, come learn about retreats we take every semester, community outreach opps, and traveling opps! Always check in about service locations because, again, sometimes we travel to Florence church or we travel to New York, etc. for services and retreats.

Rockclimbing:  Someone in the Amherst Rock Climbing Facebook group is always hosting a time to go to Central Rock Climbing Gym on days that is either free for students or paid for by the Outing Club! Follow the Amherst College Rock Climbing group on Facebook to keep up to date with upcoming climb trips!

Badminton:  Badminton in the Alumni gym on Saturdays from 4 p.m. – 6p.m.–always a good time!  Meet new people, learn tricks and tips, volley for a bit and/or play a game against your “Badminton” frenemy or team of frenemies!

LitAmherst:  Literally named Lit, party at the long-standing Miami-themed club in downtown Amherst; yes, a 5 minute walk from campus! Follow them on instagram (and maybe facebook) to keep up with events and event dates! 21+, but offer college events of 18+.

B2BU-C (Born to Be Unique in Christ) Inclusive of all, B2BU-C is not about conversion but rather answering your questions and finding available resources and offering them to help you live a quality life, which involves social events, networking, and job opps! Follow on Facebook to see upcoming events, workshops, movie screenings, etc.

Keep an eye out for websites about sites to visit to find more local events (i.e. Emily Dickinson Museum, Things Happening Downtown, etc.)!  Also, contact sjones19@amherst.edu with any questions or for more info!

Miss Black America Massachusetts 2018; Founder/CEO of Born to Be Unique Consulting, Ordinary x Influence, and To Save a Life Nonprofit; Author of Myth of the Self Made; Crimson Education Consultant Hello! I am a social entrepreneur, speaker, author, & motivational speaker (currently open to be booked for interviews, speaking and event hosting) with a love for Yahweh (God), life, dancing, Christian Ministry, natural beauty, modest fashion, social justice, learning and education, art, service work, travel, nature, business, a good bargain or sale, and helping people to live their "best" lives by leading by example. Follow me on instagram: @rock_n_rawrrr and visit my website to learn more about me and my work at: www.ordinaryxinfluence.weebly.com