Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Amherst Archives

Which big fall movie are you most excited about?

By Evelyn Kramer

Amherst Squash vs. Yale

By Evelyn Kramer
November 22, 2013 - 11:42pm

Get to the squash courts on Friday, December 6th at 2PM to see Amherst squash take on Yale.  Don't graduate from college in New England having never seen a squash match in your life!  READ MORE

Jordan Hugh Sam '14

By Gabi Smith-Rosario
November 22, 2013 - 11:32pm

Name: Jordan Hugh Sam             Hometown: Winter Springs, Florida   Class Year: 2014   Dorm: Cohen Dormitory   High School: Oviedo High School         Major: Music   Favorite Class: Choral Conducting or Popular Revolution in Modern Mexico   READ MORE

The Tourist Guide to Any Major City

By Carina Corbin
November 21, 2013 - 9:39pm

READ MORE

Robert Fagles '55

By Evelyn Kramer
November 19, 2013 - 12:19am

As an old Classics nerd, I was excited to find out that Robert Fagles was an Amherst alum.  How is this relevant to you?  Well, if your family owns a copy of The Iliad, there’s a pretty big chance it was translated by Fagles.  If you read The Odyssey in high school, you probably read the Fagles translation.   READ MORE

Why "Hard Out Here" by Lily Allen is My New Theme Song

By Carina Corbin
November 18, 2013 - 11:49pm

Last Tuesday, my roommate informed me that Lily Allen returned with a new single.  A month before, the two of us rocked out to a playlist of her songs in our bedroom.  Allen's songs always tended to stray from the normal female pop songs.  In a song like “Smile,” she refers to physically beating up a boyfriend who cheats on her.  Along the same thread is her song, “F*ck You Very Much.”  While I used to use her songs primarily for getting over a terrible crush or break up, her new song applied to my every day life.   READ MORE

November Sunset

By Evelyn Kramer
November 16, 2013 - 8:34pm

A beautiful November sunset at Amherst READ MORE

What's Your Favorite Thanksgiving Pie?

By Evelyn Kramer

Culinary Creations at Val

By Julia Weatherly
November 16, 2013 - 4:56pm

Tired of the same old turkey sandwich you make for dinner when the Val menu isn’t speaking to you? Don’t feel like spending another ten bucks on fresh side? Here are five easy tips and recipes to try from your local classmates at Amherst next time you’re in the mood to spice things up! Save your money and still eat delicious food! Enjoy!   1.     Katie’s Buff Chick Quesadilla READ MORE

Winter Trend Report: The Daring Edition

By Caroline Bomstein
November 11, 2013 - 9:19pm

At the start of each new season, it is easy to feel discouraged about the clothes currently in your closet, which may be a strong word for what most of us have here at Amherst. Instead of thinking about the clothes I don’t have, I like to put on my thinking cap and transform my warm weather clothes into ones that are appropriate for New England blustery winters. With the leaves just about gone you may just feel resigned to wearing comfortable sweats everyday. This is totally fine, especially with the temperature dropping into the thirties! If you decide to put together an outfit in the morning, there are some easy ways to use the clothes you already have and put together something quite interesting and seemingly carefree....