7 Things To Know About Amherst College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

For anyone who wants to know more about Amherst, even if you don’t know anything at all!

Dear First Year,

Welcome to Amherst College!  By the time you read this, most likely you would have arrived on campus a few weeks earlier.  You are still basking in the excitement of First Year Orientation with your orientation trips, educational workshops and the meeting of new friends.  I am excited for you to embark on this journey because it is one that will truly brighten your future.  

Now, unfortunately, despite our school being highly regarded by many, it still feels like most people don’t know we exist.    Don’t worry, we have all been there!  Hopefully these seven things can reassure you that you came to right place.  

Five College Consortium

Everyone talks about this I know. But seriously, this is one of the coolest things about going to Amherst.  After your first semester, you can take up to two classes at another college.  UMASS offers specialized courses that can help you to apply the theoretical skills you develop at Amherst.  Mount Holyoke (Moho) and Smith offer more variety in terms of diversity and gender courses.  Hampshire allows you to explore subjects outside the confines of traditional subjects with courses like Hip Hop Education and Interrogating Gandhi!  While Amherst has its own great professors and subjects to choose, variety is always nice to have.  

The Singing College

Amherst students are incredibly talented, particularly in the arts.  Our acapella groups, choirs, orchestra, jazz band, and dance groups keep you busy every weekend.  Whether you already are a master musician or are just beginning to foster a love of music, there are opportunities on campus for everyone to strut their stuff.

Athleticism

Just because Amherst is a Division III school, doesn’t mean we don’t play as hard as we work.  Our teams from football to golf are D3 champions and we are very proud!  If you are interested in sports, but didn’t make it into varsity, the school has clubs and intramural sports that allow people of all levels to enjoy the game.

Affinity Groups

This is one of the most valuable parts of Amherst for me.I chose to join an affinity group that I did not identify with ethnically but ended up making some of my closest friends and learning a new language! Through participating in one affinity group, I got to collaborate with others and throw some of the best campus wide events.  Just from talking with students at other schools, I learned how unique this was and made me incredibly proud of Amherst.

Campus Resources

When the student body speaks, the school listens.  We have the Multicultural and Diversity Resource Center, Women and Gender Center and the Queer Resource Center that provides students with safe spaces to discuss anything they need to get off their chest.  The centers also serve as educational platforms for students and faculty who want to learn about an experience different from their own.  There are many opportunities for students to get involved from improving the centers or facilitating discussions. 

Periodicals

The school has several outlets for students with an interest in writing.  We have magazines, newspapers and online platforms, including Her Campus Amherst, of course!  You can become a one time contributor or you can a regular correspondent.  Like affinity groups, writing on campus was very valuable to my Amherst experience because I get to voice my own opinions and improve my writing skills.  

The People

Like any school, Amherst has its ups-and-downs. However, the people here are what truly keeps me going when everything else seems to be spiraling downward.  I’m not going to promise that you will like everyone on campus, but I can guarantee that you will find someone you just click with and sometimes that is all you need!

I hope you enjoy your time at Amherst and you feel proud that you are here, because we are proud you chose to be with us.

HCxo,

Her Campus Amherst

Ps.  What’s your favorite part of Amherst?

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.