5 Pieces of Advice from Experienced Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

As a second semester senior just a few short months from being chucked into the world, I’m desperately clinging to any advice I can get.  So it occurred to me, why not reach out to some of the mothers of my team members and see what advice they would give to their eighteen to twenty-one year-old selves.  They had lots of great stuff to say!

Cherish your women friends, because the men do get boring after a while, especially when you’re a senior in college.  Being a senior in college is hard, because the guys have a new pool coming in every year.  Women friends are great, and they last.

Remember that you guys are at Amherst.  You are at the top of the top.  So when people tell you that it’s a competitive job market and a competitive world out there, you tell them “Good.  Because I’m here to compete.” 

Marry your best friend.  The passion may die eventually, but you’ll have a lot of fun.  And marry someone who challenges you and who has smarts that complement yours–someone who is intellectually curious.    

Ask lots of questions, especially when you start your first job.  Asking questions is not a sign of weakness.  It will show people that you care, and they will want to take you under their wing and guide you.

Drink Prosecco, but with caution.  Prosecco is delicious, and it’s lower in alcohol content than champagne.  However, be careful, because it has fewer bubbles than champagne, so it goes down more easily and you can drink it faster.  This can be dangerous, as some of us have learned the hard way…    

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.