Where Did ABC Family Go?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For those of you who are wondering what happened to ABC Family…after 30 years, ABC Family is no more. Instead, the network is now called Freeform. It seems intended to be a combination of the MTV and Nick programming and audiences.

Why is that, you ask? Well, ABCFam…I mean Freeform…wants to appeal to the younger generation by disassociating itself from the “family” persona. The network is trying to gain a broader audience by increasing engagement of millennials and teenagers. They aim to target 14 to 34-year-olds. They call us the “Becomers!” To be honest, I instantly noticed the shift from the family persona to the younger generation as soon as “Pretty Little Liars” started airing!

Shows like “Pretty Little Liars” and “The Fosters” will still air on the network, as well as new shows like “Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments” and “Recovery Road.” You can catch the new shows Mondays 9/8c.

But best of all Freeform will be debuting Nicki Minaj’s comedy show, “Nicki!” You know, I wouldn’t even mind the name change that much, but during every commercial break, the network constantly says “Freeform: The new name for ABC Family.” I mean we get it already. It’s been a month since the name change and the new logo is always at the bottom of your TV screen. Why did they choose to name the network Freeform? The network says that Freeform represents fluidity. All of us, the audience, are fluid as we explore endless possibilities…

Here are five things to look out for with the new network:

1) A constant reminder of the name change

2) Interesting new shows, such as “Shadowhunters” and “Recovery Road”

3) Funny and honest snippets on growing up from young actors from the network’s shows like Emily Osment during commercial breaks.

4) The continuation of audience favorites: “Pretty Little Liars” and “The Fosters”

5) A fluid atmosphere on the network that draws the Becomers in.

I hope that the network will continue to evolve and continue to give us the great content we loved watching.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

Brittany Roberts is a Freshman at American University. Her major is Business and Entertainment. She plays the piano, violin, and guitar and loves poetry.