What I Learned My First Year in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Dear Recently College Accepted High School Senior, 

1. The first few weeks will be exciting, exhausting, and overwhelming. In the sudden fear of being alone, not knowing what to do, you will be throwing yourself into new social situations. Don’t worry about finding your best friend, as long as you know how to get into your dorm and where to find food, you will be okay. 

2. Everyone is in the same boat. Remind yourself that you’re not the only one who feels awkward or nervous. Everyone is having the same feels as you, even if it looks like they aren’t.

3. Go out. Don’t be afraid to check out a party or event that someone suggested. You never know who you might meet or how much fun you might have! Just make sure you have a fully charged phone, an uber account, a little cash, and a leveled head. Feel free to let loose, but be sure to make smart choices.

4. You don’t have to go out every weekend. If you don’t want to go out, don’t go out. Don’t get sucked into a bad case of peer pressure. There is nothing wrong with staying in to binge watch Netflix with some comfty sweats.

5. Don’t forget about vegetables! Aside from the dreaded freshman fifteen, your body needs healthy food just to keep it going. Soon enough you will be running around socializing and getting homework done. You don’t just need food in your stomach; you need fuel to keep you going.

6. You will get homesick and it is going to feel really hard. The important thing to remember is that it is only temporary and you will adjust. Stick it out until break and make sure you are actually giving your new environment a chance.

7. Call your family and let them know how they are doing. When your mom sends you a text asking about your day, respond timely. They are your parents and even though you probably feel pretty independent at the moment, you will need them more than ever.

8. Get organized and stay organized. You will soon have one of those weeks where you have two tests, three papers, countless meetings and of course important social events. Find yourself a calendar system and write down everything. To survive the load and limit your stress, you have to learn to plan ahead.

9. All-Nighters really do suck and there is no reason for you to have them every week. Do not make half of your college career a night full of frantic fights to finish an essay or cram for an exam.

10. Sleep, Sleep, Sleep! Sleep is your best friend you should treat him as such. Make sure you devote enough time to catching your Zs. If you don’t get enough, you’re more likely to get sick and feel unfocused.

11. Friendship: Quality over Quantity is the way to think about the friends you make your first year. Try not to focus on becoming best friends with everyone, instead try focusing on fewer relationships with people you really connect and feel comfortable with. You will have a million acquiesces, but only a handful of close friends.

12. Take time for yourself every day. College can be overwhelming in so many ways. It is extremely important to take at least an hour out of your day for some personal time.

13. Get off campus at least once a week. College can often feel like a big bubble and it is important to explore beyond it. You aren’t just a college student, you’re also a person with separate hobbies and interests. Make sure you get out into the real world for a while and do things you enjoy with people you love.

14. Drink water constantly and keep a bottle with you. You should be drinking about 8 cups of water a day, which means about 3-4 full Camelbak’s a day. Its good for your skin, your health and your body needs it.

15. Your roommate(s) will your become family. For the year, your family will become the person you share your small piece of home with. Your roommate will be the one who listens to your crappy day, gives top dating advice, and will become your cheerleader. However, like family, sometimes you won’t always get along and that’s okay! Just make sure you both communicate, and compromise.

16. Be kind to your RA, remember they are people just like you. When you pass them in the hall always say hello and ask them about their day. They are there to support you, don’t make them your enemy.

17. The first time getting sick will be weird because you will actually have to take care of yourself. As if being sick doesn’t suck enough, this means going to the pharmacy and getting your own medications, cooking yourself some soup, and taking your own temperature. You will miss your family more than ever, but just remember this is all part of being an adult and you can be your own nurse.

18. Don’t over do it with the meal plan. There is just no way you are going to use your meal swipes for every single meal. Breakfast might be something you only have time to sit down for on the weekends, but most days you’re probably going to grab a piece of fruit or a granola bar. Stick to the medium to low amount of meal swipes; don’t waste your parent’s money.

19. Seriously, wait on the textbooks. Don’t make the mistake of ordering all of them before class because soon enough it will become very apparent how important they are to the course. Sometimes they won’t be important at all!

20. Get fresh air by going for walks and spending time outside. You cannot just spend the whole day in front of a screen you need to get feel the sunshine and smell the flowers.

21. Keep track of your spending and don’t splurge too often. Now that you are somewhat on your own, get in the habit of keeping track of your finances. Money isn’t everything, but it is such an important part of being an adult.

22. Wake up and do something every day of the week. Of course it is okay to sleep in on your days off, but make sure you do actually get up and out of bed and accomplish something. Although it is cliché, you really should make every day count.

23. Try everything, commit to few. It is really important to get involved on campus and in a new place. Try out a bunch of new clubs and activities, but then really only devote your time to a few of them. You will find that you will get more out of experiences if you don’t spread yourself too thin.

24. Go to class and stay in class. We all get tempted to skip class after a long weekend, but it is really important to go. You don’t want to miss out on important information, and when you get a real job it won’t be as if you can just skip. Get in the habit of making attendance an important priority.

25. Go to office hours because it is an easy way to keep your grades up. Professors carve out time in their day just for you to come in and ask questions, so take advantage of it. Also, it really shows your dedication and effort.

26. Meet with your advisor at least once a semester to make sure you are on top of your game. Stay ahead of course registration and study abroad by meeting with your advisor to get information. Even if you don’t have any direct questions, it is still important to just check in with them.

27. It is okay to eat by yourself. Everyone needs to eat, and if you don’t always have a buddy to eat with, it’s perfectly okay. Don’t think much of it.

28. Invite people to lunch, you never know what kind of connection you might make with someone.

29. Aspects of going home will feel strange. Your family is going to be completely in your face and they will want to know everything about your first few months. Be patient, answer their questions, and share your experiences with them. Just remember they don’t always need to know everything!

30. Visiting your high school will also be very strange. You might walk around feeling pretty fly because you’re an alumni, but make sure to check on your favorite teachers and let them know how you are doing. While your old high school may be a part of your past, it doesn’t mean it didn’t help shape your future.

31. Try to check in with your friends from back home, but understand that you might lose touch with a couple of them. It is just part of growing up. People go onto other places and meet new people. Sometimes friendships can withstand that, and sometimes they don’t. Make an effort, but keep your focus on the friendships you are working on strengthening at school.

32. You will not find the love of your life your freshman year. You might find yourself falling for that cutie in your College Writing class, but that person probably isn’t your soul mate. Don’t be afraid to date someone new. Just always make sure you are doing what feels comfortable and safe. When it comes to college relationships, love yourself first before another person

33. Take pictures of everything you see. We live a world where you can capture every moment. You will want to remember what you looked like 30 years from now!

34. Social media is a not a person’s life. Don’t get a bad case of FOMO based on what other people are posting on Facebook. You are just as fun and awesome as they are. Social media is a great tool but remember it is important to take a break from it once in a while.

35. Be careful of what you post online because you may learn to regret it later. Do not post that picture of you holding a beer or smoking a joint. Un-tag yourself in silly or stupid posts. People do judge you based on what you put out there, and you always want to present your best self.

36. Read for pleasure at least once a week. In college you will have so much ready to do that is most likely pretty interesting. However, because you will be reading for the purpose of a grade, it can kind of take the pleasure out of it. Make sure you are reading for pleasure and try to venture out of your typical selection. There is great writing everywhere, especially in the last places you’d look. You never know what might inspire you.

37. Keep a journal, and save mementos. Write everything down: whether it be your experiences, your thoughts or feelings. Save concert tickets, restaurant cards, and other small mementos as a way to remember these special moments.

38. Dress to impress every day. No one can capture your swagger. Constantly experiment with new looks. If you look fabulous, you will always feel flawless.

39. When you fail at something, pick yourself back up again. You are going to make so many mistakes, and it is important to be prepared for that. You are young! The key is to get back up when you fall, learn from your choices, and try again.

40. Don’t take anything for granted. Enjoy college because it will be over before you know it. By the end of your freshman year, a whole quarter of your college career will be over. Make the most of it every day and have the time of your life. 

Photo Sources: 1