What Does “Bikini Body” Actually Mean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Every media outlet seems to be talking about how to get the best “bikini body” and how celebrities get swimsuit ready. Fed up with seeing these headlines pop-up in my newsfeed again and again, I decided to learn more about why this term was coined in the first place.  

It All Started With the Bikini

We would not have the “bikini body” without the bikini.  Based on the History Channel‘s database, “This Day in History,” the scandalous swimwear was first introduced to the world on July 5, 1946 by Louis Reard. Reard was a French clothing designer. The model was exotic dancer, Micheline Bernardini, who became famous after this debut.  Read claimed “a two-piece suit wasn’t a genuine bikini “unless it could be pulled through a wedding ring.'”  Thank goodness that standard is not still held today. Eventually the bikini came to America in the 1960s, where it became a huge hit among teenagers. The rest is history!

Why The “Bikini Body” Concept Means Good Business

According to The Cutthe phrase “bikini body” took off in 1961 when it was used in an advertisement by Slenderella International. This company advertised in the Washington Post and New York Times, “High firm bust — hand span waist — trim, firm hips — slender graceful legs — a Bikini body!” What Slenderella did was promote weight loss. The entire intention of creating this “perfect” body was to encourage people to buy into their weight loss programs. What that means is that the “bikini body” is meaningless. It is nothing but a ploy by businesses from a long time ago to sell their products.

What Is Its Significance Today

Between today and 2004 the use of the term “bikini body” has increased steadily according to Google Trends. The focus on weight loss and attaining a perfect body has escalated greatly. Stars, like the Kardashians, have brought dieting and exercise into the limelight. However, more often than not, the focus is on losing weight instead of being healthy. There is no doubt that in advertisements today, women are almost always portrayed unrealistically, and frequently objectified. Just like in the 1960s, businesses are still milking this idea of the swimsuit-ready body. That means that when you buy into these advertisements, you are perpetuating the misconception that there is such a thing as a “bikini body.” 

How We Can Break The Cycle

Some companies, such as Aerie, are making an effort by not photo shopping their models, and trying to demonstrate a more realistic image of women. However, the battle is far from over.  We have to break the cycle that started so long ago, so that generations to come do not feel the same pressure to have a “bikini body.” First, refuse to be persuaded by ads and articles about weight loss and “bikini bodies.” Secondly, wear whatever you want. There is nothing wrong with wearing a little or a lot as long as you are comfortable with it. Lastly, make sure that others do the same, and do not let your friends and relatives be convinced by a hollow business gimmick.  

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5