Very Pinteresting, Indeed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For those of you who don’t know Pinterest, it is a glorious thing. Think of all the times you may have been browsing the Internet and have seen something that catches your eye. Yeah, you can bookmark the page, but if you have a Pinterest, the simple click of a button allows you to neatly organize your favorite wardrobe items, recipes, decoration inspiration, handmade goods, color palettes, patterns, and much more onto a virtual “pinboard.” It’s not only a great way to keep all of your ideas in one place for easy reference, but it’s also useful for marketing yourself to the public.

While the bulk of Pinterest users are individual female women, companies have recently been joining the pin fest, realizing that they can also use the website as a social networking tool to gain more consumer awareness and support. Some of these brands include Dunkin Donuts, Panera Bread, Lilly Pulitzer, Urban Outfitters, and Williams Sonoma. 

One such brand is Etsy, an online handmade and vintage marketplace where small, independent crafters can sell their goods. Etsy’s Pinterest is divded into such boards as Cards and Stationary, DIY, Home Sweet Home, and Stuff We Love. Etsy’s followers on Pinterest can follow a pin back to the vendor’s page on the home website and purchase whatever it may be. 

Another popular corporate pinner is Glamour Magazine. The publication has over 3000 people who follow boards like NY Fashion Week 2012, Date Night Outfit Ideas, and Dream Closet: Designer Shoes (just to name a few). By maintaining an attractive collection of pinboards that directly represents the magazine, Glamour creates an online page where their readers can further enjoy and learn about the topics covered in the print version and they never have to leave the social networking site. 

One caveat about the website is that it really only allows for companies with visually pleasing products to succeed. In other words, I don’t think we will be seeing a Pepco Pinterest anytime soon. Other than that, though, the branding potential that Pinterest creates is extensive. So, if you’re currently a member, be on the look out for a growing amount of brands with their own pinboards. If you’re not on Pinterest, definitely check it out. Although please be warned: it is addicting and may lead to hours upon hours of pinning, wardrobe wishing, and/or food pornography. 

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.