Underrated Christmas Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Christmas is probably the best season for those who love repetitive, catchy tunes, and while the classic Christmas carols will always be worth singing, there are other songs in the Christmas genre that are not as recognized. Not only do these songs offer a joyful tune, but some speak to social issues of our time, and other ways to view the holiday season. Read on for six Christmas songs that are not quite as popular as most:

1. Same Old Lang Syne – Dan Fogelberg

Technically, this song only mentions Christmas once (and it’s only “Christmas Eve” at that), but the tune of “Auld Lang Syne” ringing at the end, and serving as the inspiration for the title, certainly give this song its holiday vibe. Sung from the first person perspective, a man sings of his run in with an old girlfriend, recounting their conversation, and remembering why he still loves her. With it’s tender melody, romantic theme, and killer saxaphone solo at the end, this song is great for those who love happy songs with a sad sound, and songs that make them want to fall in love too. And what better season to celebrate love — lost and found — than at Christmastime?

2. Christmas / Sarajevo 12/24 – Trans-Siberian Orchestra

This may be a song you have heard on the radio, but never actually knew the title to. What makes this song special is its ability to intertwine a Christmas classic with rock. Inspired by the classics, “Carol of the Bells” and “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,” and enhanced by flutes, violins, pianos, and most notably, electric guitars, the lack of lyrics is no burden to this unique and brilliantly arranged melody that will surely be stuck in your head for a long time.

3. Faeries – Mannheim Steamroller

Continuing with the theme of instrumental music, “Faeries” provides a sombre, almost eerie cover of the more popular “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies” by Tchaikovsky. Faeries may appeal to those who enjoy music by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It can be fun to hear a unique spin on a classic, and Faeries provides just that.

4. Someday at Christmas – Stevie Wonder

If there were a classy, inspiring way to bluntly discuss war, gun violence, and social injustice in a Christmas song, Stevie Wonder’s “Someday at Christmas” is the way to do it. This song has every reason to be a downer, but the beauty of this piece is that it is a song of hope. Wonder speaks of the hope and possibility of a better world, and of the even greater hope that the Christmas season can bring. In doing this, he has produced what is possibly one of the most optimistic Christmas songs on the market, and one that is definitely worth listening to this season.

5. Greatest Time of Year – Aly and AJ

Sure, this is a throwback for Aly and AJ fans during the earlier 2000s, but there is undoubtedly something special and contagiously joyous about this tune. This upbeat, pop-rock tune, originally used in The Santa Clause 3 movie, is a perfect to help put everyone in a Christmas mood, and highlights some of the most important values at Christmastime — togetherness, joy, and love.

6. Celebrate Me Home – Kenny Loggins

Speaking of togetherness, such is the theme of Kenny Loggins’ song “Celebrate Me Home.” While this song tends to be played during the Christmas season, he does not actually mention Christmas at all. However, he does mention the importance and joy of coming home to family and loved ones — something that college students heading home for the holidays can surely relate to. Topped with Loggins’ soothing voice, this is a great tune to listen to on the ride home, and during the Christmas vacation with family.

Be sure to check out these Christmas songs this season to add some variety to your seasonal playlist!

Sources:

1 2 3 4 5 6