A Tribute to Zayn Malik

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Apparently the days of fangirling over Zayn Malik’s perfect locks and high notes are over. The day that undoutably all directioners have feared is here: One of the boys has decided to leave One Direction. Today at 12:30 P.M. the One Direction Twitter account released this statment. 

“After five incredible years Zayn Malik has decided to leave OneDirection. Niall, Harry, Liam and Louis will continue as a four-piece and look forward to the forthcoming concerts of their world tour andrecording their fifth album, due to be released later this year.”

Zayn says: “My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I’d like to apologise to the fans if I’ve let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart. I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”

One Direction says: “We’re really sad to see Zayn go, but we totally respect his decision and send him all our love for the future. The past five years have been beyond amazing, we’ve gone through so much together, so we will always be friends. The four of us will now continue. We’re looking forward to recording the new album and seeing all the fans on the next stage of the world tour.”

Simon Cowell says: “I would like to say thank you to Zayn for everything he has done for One Direction. Since I first met Zayn in 2010, I have grown very, very fond – and immensely proud – of him. I have seen him grow in confidence and I am truly sorry to see him leave. As for One Direction, fans can rest assured that Niall, Liam, Harry and Louis are hugely excited about the future of the band.”

While there are thousands of reason to love and miss Zayn Malik, here are seven. 

1. He’s a Family Guy. 

Who could forget the scene in “This Is Us” when Zayn bought his family a brand new home. Every single time I saw the film (upward of 5 times in theaters) I teared up at Zayn’s sweet gesture. 

2. His high notes are out of this world. While all of the boys have their special skills that they bring to the table, only Zayn is capable of pulling off beautiful, melodious high notes. Niall is lovely, yet I doubt he or Liam, or Harry perform Zayn’s solos as well. Do yourself a favor and relive all of Zayn’s solos in “Four.” Don’t forget the tissues.

3. Zayn’s hair set a whole new standard for men’s hair styling. Just watch this video to understand the all influencing power of Zayn’s hair. After all if you believe in miracles, then you’ve probably seen Zayn’s hair. 

4. His relationship with Perrie. While there have been rumors recently regarding Zayn and a blond woman in Thailand, I don’t believe a single one of them. Anyone who has watched Perrie and Zayn’s relationship from afar knows how adorable they are. From their beginnings on X-Factor (sigh) to their recent engagement, they are endgame. 

They should actually have a palace, BECAUSE THEY ARE ROYALTY. 

5. His dance moves reminded us that he was just another awkward weirdo who happened to be an international superstar/could be model. Observe: The Zayn Shimmy 

6. He makes it rain. Still not completely convinced he’s not an angel and just has to return to his heavenly abode. 

7. In this time of mourning, just remember you’ll always have that one date with Zayn. 

As Directioners we’re all having a hard time staying calm and a much easier time being like “Vas Happening?!?!!” Perhaps many of you like me thought that when one of the boys left that they would all leave together. While I love “Four,” the irony of its name and its foreshadowing is retrospectively depressing.  So as much as this SUCKS, I am hopeful for a solo album from Zayn. If this recording is any evidence of what a solo by Zayn would sound like, then I’ve got high hopes. Until then I will be wondering where “Broken Hearts Go” because mine definitely is broken. 

We’re all going to miss you too much Zayn

Image Credits 1 2 3