The Top 8 Female Empowerment Songs of 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Whether dealing with friendship drama, boy troubles, or just having a tough time at work or in classes, every girl needs to hit up her “Girl Power” playlist once in a while. So far 2014 has proven to be a strong year for female power songs. With last year’s Billboard Top 3 songs being “Thrift Shop,” “Blurred Lines,” and “Radioactive,” it’s refreshing to see the girls take power this year.  Below is a list of 8 empowering female songs to jam out to and get you feeling confident, upbeat and ready to take on the world.

8.  Really Don’t Care by Demi Lovato ft. Cher Lloyd

With its catchy tune and upbeat theme, this is the perfect song for after a rough break-up (or a rough “we-were-never-actually-dating-but-it’s-over” breakup), or a heated argument with someone. Demi Lovato knows best about letting go of negativity and focusing on the positive.

7.   Salute by Little Mix

This song screams female empowerment, with it’s military-inspired beats, war sirens and lines such as “ladies all across the world, listen up we’re looking for recruits.” Little Mix, one of the strongest girl bands of 2014, calls for girls to stand up and fight for what they want. YOU ROCK GIRLS!

6. Problem by Ariana Grande

Yes, this is the song that you probabaly had stuck in your head all summer. However, it cannot be missing from our list. Even Ariana Grande understands what it’s like to have that one person in your life that you know is good for you, yet you still can’t stop falling for (admit it ladies, we’ve all been there)! 

5. Shake it Off by Taylor Swift

You can’t help but dance and sing along this catchy new song by Taylor Swift.  The lyrics are all about being carefree and not caring about what people say about you. So shake, shake, shake it off! 

4. Bang Bang by Jessie J, Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande

If you haven’t heard this ultimate girl-power collaboration yet, you need to check it out. Featuring three of the top female artists of today, the sassy and flirty song will be stuck in your head all day.

3. Bo$$ by Fifth Harmony

This radio may not have been featured on the radio before, which is a bummer because WOW– Fifth Harmony does not disappoint in this one. This song is all about female confidence and independence, making references to powerful women Michelle Obama and Oprah. So girls, always keep your head up high, your mind focused and act like a boss.

2. All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor

All About That Bass is one of the most positive songs of 2014, encouraging girls to feel confident about their bodies nobody what size. Trainor calls out our society’s obsession with “perfect” skinny bodies, Photoshop and plastic surgery, singing “You know I won’t be no stick figure silicone Barbie doll, so if that’s what you’re into then go ahead and move along.” With so many girls feeling insecure about their appearance, this song is a refreshing addition to the music industry. 

1.  Flawless by Beyoncé ft. Chimamanda ngozi adichie

And of course, the number one spot has to go to Queen Bey herself! Beyoncé is pretty the symbol of a woman who has it all: a successful career, husband, and now her daughter Blue Ivy. Flawless also features TED speaker and feminist Chimamanda ngozi adichie, who talks about the importance of feminism and challenges the way females are raised and viewed. She explains how “We raise girls to see each other as competitors, not for jobs or for accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing, but for the attention of men.” This new Beyoncé hit joins the ranks with her”Single Ladies,””If I Were a Boy” and “Run the World (Girls),” as one of the top female empowerment songs of our generation. 

Image Credit: 1 2 3 4 5

Lauren is currently a Junior at American University and is pursuing a degree in Business Administration with a Finance specialization. As a previous communications student, Lauren is a long-time writer for Her Campus. She believes every student, no matter what major, can benefit from learning about business and finance. Her goal is to share some of the information she has learned as a business student to empower other young people to prepare for financial success. Lauren writes articles focused mainly on personal finance, business and career prep.