Surprisingly Great Camp Counselor: David Brewer '19

Posted -

Her Campus American University: Where is home?

David Brewer: Glastonbury, Connecticut!

HCAU: Is there somewhere in particular that feels like home? Why?

D.B.: I LOVE the suburbs. I used to think the city was the place for me but I realized how much I miss being able to go out to a state forest and walk around, with friends or by myself. Sometimes it's nice to get away from the lights and the traffic.

HCAU: What are you studying in Kogod?

D.B.: Finance

HCAU: If you could work anywhere, where would it be?

D.B.: I want to work at Capital Venture

HCAU: Why Capital Venture? 

D.B.: I've always loved innovation and entrepreneurship, but have never felt like I really had any ideas that were feasible enough to start myself. I'm also pretty good with numbers, so Venture Capital offers a great mix between the sort of art of entrepreneurship and science of Finance.

HCAU: What are you involved in on and off campus? 

D.B.: On campus I'm a member of Alpha Kappa Psi, AU's Professional Business Fraternity. I was also a member of AU's Department of Performing Arts in the spring of my Freshman and Sophomore year. I am a TA for two Kogod classes, Business 1.0 and ITEC 200. Off campus I work at LL Bean back home.

HCAU: Do you have any hidden talents?

D.B.: Not really, although people are always a little surprised when I talk about having been a camp counselor (and a pretty decent one) because they "don't see me as the type of person children would like."

HCAU: At this moment, if you could go anywhere, where would it be and why?

D.B.: I'd pick a nice tropical island, just me, a few friends, and the beach! It's winter and finals season, and I'd always rather be by the beach!

HCAU: You are going to happy hour, who would you take? Where would you go and what would you talk about?

D.B.: I'd take Emma Watson to a nice rooftop Happy Hour spot with great views, and we'd probably plan our wedding.

HCAU: What are 3 things you cannot live without?

D.B.: First, my headphones- I love music and can't go anywhere without them. Number two, my dog - she's so old that she can't really see or hear anymore, but she's still my puppy. Lastly, puns - I never take anything too seriously, and I will always try to make a bad out of something to give my friends a laugh.

HCAU: Before graduating in 2019, what is your biggest bucket list item and why?

D.B.: It sounds cheesy but I'd love to be on one of the student panels about students who have done well with internship and career experience during undergrad. I think it would  assure me that I've succeeded while here and assure other students that different people have different paths.

Photo credits belong to David.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login