Serengetee: Wear the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

“Wear the World. Change the World.”

Ever wonder how you can make a real impact in the world? Three college friends sought out to create a company that would do exactly that–in style. While studying abroad and traveling the world on a Semester at Sea program, these friends began to pick out fabrics in over 15 countries they visited, while they met amazing people in all corners of the globe. From this experience, Serengetee was born. Set with a mission to connect people to the globe through fabric while giving back to the communities that inspire the products, the company has become one of the fastest growing brands in the world.

Launched out of a small dorm room in the spring of 2012 using every penny they had, their passion cultivated from their experiences abroad has all led to their rapid success. Their strong fan base, and their commitment to their mission, has given the brand an opportunity to create a real impact in the world, and help change the lives of thousands, one Serengetee at a time. But, how does it all work, and what are these “patterns” for?

We were lucky enough to sit down and speak with Nate Sundermeier, a former brand representative for the company and an American student with close family ties to the brand, as his sister is a regional representative leader. Nate explained that the company gives 5% of each product sold to the cause that the design supports, and currently, the company as a whole supports 32 causes.

Simply put, each fabric pattern is paired with a cause located in the same area of the globe from which it came. So, that way you give back directly to the community that inspired the design you purchase. Additionally, these patterns aren’t just put on the pockets of regular T-shirts. Nate informed us that now, the brand has expanded to include tank tops, backpacks, hats, hoodies, shorts, and much more. What’s even cooler, all of these designs you can pick from to personalize your own product are all designed and created by fabric makers around the world. Every time you purchase that pattern, you are not only giving back to the community that inspired them but you are also supporting the local artisans that created the patterns. From Africa, Asia, Central and South America, Europe, North America, and the South Pacific, purchasing these statement-making products make you not only look good, but feel good as well.

Why should you wear Serengetee? Well, for Nate, the answer is simple. Every shirt, or every pattern, not only looks cool, but gets people talking. Each pattern has it’s own story, a story that has a deep meaning rooted in the cause or country it functions to support. Between shirts and other apparel, there are a wide variety of products you can choose from; with so many products there is a one that can appeal to everyone. Feel good about what you are wearing, and get to know Serengetee.

Once you find out how amazing the company is, you may want to get more involved like Nate did. You have the opportunity to become a brand representative for the company if you wish, or simply connect with the company through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more information on their brand representative positions which are available on a per semester basis, visit their website. And don’t forget to check out the site and order yourself a unique product for 10% off your first order. Follow the trend at #WearTheWorld!

Photo Credits: 1 2 3