A Recap of New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Fashion week: an excuse to spend 90% of your free time catching up on the day’s latest shows but also the reason behind your sudden questioning of why you didn’t pursue your 8 year old self’s dream of becoming a fashion designer.

But because we’re at school and have to do things like go to class, intern, work, etc., we can’t drop everything for fashion week even though it’s very tempting being that NYC is a just four hours away. Since we’re here and not sitting front row at the Diane von Furstenberg show next to our fashion blogger BFFs, here’s a little round up of what we might have missed these past two weeks…

Instead of rambling about how each of these collections is a “journey of sorts, through a sea of flowing fabrics, etc” I’ll describe them by sort of “narrating” the audience that they would appeal to the most. 

Diane von Furstenberg:

The, “Oh my gosh, I have so many parties in the Hamptons to go to this summer but I don’t want to be boring and wear a dress to every one of them!” Also, can we just acknowledge that this outfit seems like so much fun to wear?

Alexander Wang:

The, “I work in the entertainment industry and need to look modern yet cool all of the time.”

Prabal Gurung

The, “I appreciate beautiful, modern silhouettes and like to show just the right amount of skin.” Is it just me or can anyone else picture Emma Stone wearing this to an awards show?

Michael Kors:

The, “I aspire to be the American Kate Middleton.”

J.Crew:

The, “I am the spirit animal of Jenna Lyons and swear by the notion that red lipstick, a crisp white shirt, and a statement skirt make the perfect uniform.” 

And there you have it. It seems like there’s a big mix of trends that this spring has in store for us, and remember there’s still London, Milan, and Paris – start booking your tickets now!

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5