Recap: American U Does Movember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s that time of year when mustaches are in season—most guys grow out their facial hair in November to sport a stylish appearance. Even so, there is a charitable cause behind efforts to grow a mustache. Movember is a movement that advocates for men to grow moustaches during November to raise awareness for men’s health issues including prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health problems. The Movember Foundation was founded in 2003 in Australia and has expanded worldwide. Participants are dubbed “Mo Bros” and female supporters are “Mo Sistas.” Women have become an integral part of the movement; they convince the males in their lives to participate and encourage important discussions about men’s health.

Her Campus AU wanted to show support for Movember by asking people: “What MOtivates you to stay healthy?”

We wanted to help spark conversations about men’s health. Both men and women have a role to play in the Movember movement, which was made clear by the responses we received. By answering our question, friends asked each other what they do in order to stay healthy. The discussions about health invited new thinking that helps men and women be more conscious of their physical and mental well-beings. As seen in the photos, the motivation to stay healthy can come from any aspect of our lives.

Learning to have open conversations about health is an incredibly important part of the campaign. Although work or school may sometimes be the priority in our lives, it’s important to remember our bodies can only take so much. Being aware of our physical and mental states are just as important as being aware of our day-to-day schedules. While November is the month dedicated to raising awareness for men’s health, keep in mind that health issues occur year-round—be the one to start the conversation about wellness with your loved one, today.

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.