An Open Letter of Inspiration for the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Collegiates,

Close that Facebook tab and listen up.

I know you’re tired. Tired of doing twenty pages of homework that are only worth .05% of your final grade, spending hours studying for tests that you will probably get a mediocre score on, and going to your unpaid internship where you have a 1/100 chance of doing anything mildly interesting.

There’s only one week left of school, so you continue to slog your way through classes, and that daily countdown until the end of the semester is the only inspiring you not to throw your textbooks out the window. (That, and the fact that your textbooks cost you $500+).

So, why am I writing a description of what your sad student life is currently like? Not because I think this feeling needs to be put into words, but because I want to inspire you to change it. You have the power to not only make yourself happy, but also take this last month of school and change it into something that will help you become better.

So you have all those final projects and papers? Go talk to your professor about it. Not only will you gain a better understanding of the assignment by going to see them, but you will also help yourself by letting your professor get to know you more as a student. This is the time of year that we all seem to forget that our professors are some of the most intelligent and well-connected people we will have the chance to meet, so why not take advantage of the mandatory office hours they hold and go see them? It’s a sure way to help you understand the material for the final, and sometimes it will be the deciding factor for rounding up your grade at the end of the semester.

Professors are more than willing to help you with your assignments, but they also love to talk about the field that they’re in. Whether you’re considering graduate school or going straight into the workforce after graduation, your professors can supply you with great career advice. Brush away the end of the semester blues by getting excited about what great things you can do in the future!

And, as general advice, don’t get down about all of the work you have to do. Think of it as helping you to develop the skills you’ll need once you graduate. Instead of just doing your homework to get through it, learn what your professors are trying to teach you. It will be more beneficial, and so much more fun.

Have a wonderful rest of the semester Collegiates, and remember: college is what you make it.