Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

No Regrets: Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Travel Now

Posted Apr 30 2013 - 9:00am

You can map out your life or live your life with a map.

If you’re curious about the world and anxious for an adventure, stop dreaming and start packing. Whether you’re longing to surf in Australia or ski in Switzerland, the time to travel is now. Here are the top five reasons why you should embark on an international journey.

You're young.

The boys of One Direction say to “Live While We’re Young,” and traveling is the best way to do so. In the transition from teens to twenties, your mind is curious, your heart is full of compassion, and your soul is yearning for adventure. It’s the perfect time to expand our horizons and go “crazy crazy crazy ‘til we see the sun.”

You'll gain invaluable experience.

Sharpen your foreign language skills or learn a new one. Global experience can prepare you for an international career and broaden your understanding of different cultures. By challenging yourself to adapt to an entirely different culture and navigate through a new city, you’ll learn life skills that can’t be learned in a lecture.

You'll learn about yourself.

In college, life is about you: what you’re studying, where you’re interning, when you’re graduating. You’re on the constant journey of “finding yourself.” Going abroad challenges you in a variety of ways. You’ll be out of of your comfort zone. You’ll get lost.  You’ll befriend strangers. And along the way, you’ll discover what you appreciate, what you value and maybe, just maybe, what truly makes you happy.

You have no obligations.

Buying a car, getting married, having children... All things to look forward to in life. As you get older, your list of commitments gets longer. Chances are, in college, you don’t have a family to support or a mortgage to pay. Why not see the world before entering the real world?

You can.

Whether you book the ultimate Contiki travel tour, choose AU Abroad or spontaneously splurge on a one-way ticket, the power is at your fingertips. Search, click, purchase—it’s that easy (okay, maybe after a little budgeting and a lot of self-assurance). What’s holding you back?