No Eggs, No Milk, No Problem!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

When a collegiette™ hears the word vegan, the first things she doesn’t necessarily think of are cupcakes and chicken wraps, right? Before, I was a little skeptical about the whole vegan thing. I felt like the only things that were available to eat were raw celery sticks and berries. Umm, no thank you. I have to say that I definitely made a hasty generalization and judged too quickly. It was not until I passed the Columbia Heights café, Sticky Fingers, when I changed my mind.

After reading the raving reviews outside, I went inside really expecting to see two categories on the menu: veggies and fruit. Instead, I found a variety of cupcakes such as red velvet, vanilla, and cookies and cream. There were even other baked goods such as cinnamon rolls, brownies and cookies. I then found the chalkboard with the 50’s inspired café’s eclectic menu, which had a lot of choices like tofu scramble, tofurkey sandwiches, Asian soy steak wraps, and Gardein nuggets. I even saw chicken? Being a stranger to the vegan world, I was unsure whether any of this food was appetizing. Deciding to be adventurous, I chose a barbecue “chicken” wrap, and my whole view of vegan food changed. When I tasted it, the “chicken” inside the wrap tasted just like chicken, which was pretty strange, but a yummy strange. Finally, for dessert I ate a cookies and cream cupcake. I could not taste any difference from any other cupcake I have tried in the past. Overall, I have to say that I had an amazing meal for $20 and I was pretty satisfied that I tried something new!

If you’re a big foodie and dare to try something outside your comfort zone, go vegan for a day! Trust me, D.C. has a lot of other delicious vegan places that are open to changing the minds of those in doubt!

Colleen V. Antonio is a student at American University in Washington DC. She is majoring in Public Communication with minors in Marketing. She is a member of the sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. Currently, Colleen writes and is President for HerCampus American, which combines her interests in fashion, food, and entertainment in the local DMV area. One day she hopes to find a job with all these interests that will enable her to travel around the world. During her free time, Colleen enjoys exploring the city whether it is heading to listen to an underground band at Black Cat with her friends or even just eating cookie dough ice cream on the steps of the National Portrait Gallery.
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.