New Faces in Fashion: Sisters Gigi and Bella Hadid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Keeping up with the fashion and beauty industries can be hard sometimes; each new year brings a new face. In the past year, countless new faces have appeared on both magazine covers and runways around the world. Nowadays it seems like the newest trend is recruiting these new faces from daughters of reality television show stars. 

In case you missed it, last year Kendall Jenner, daughter of Kardashian “momager” Kris Jenner and former Olympian Bruce Jenner, completely dominated the fashion industry. She was spotted walking at countless designer runway shows in Paris, New York and Milan fashion week for designers like Dolce and Gabbana, Marc Jacobs, Chanel, Balmain, Fendi and many more. Jenner was also named the global face of Estee Lauder, amongst other projects she has been involved in.

This year, however, expect to see two more brand new faces: the Hadid sisters. At only 19 and 18 years old, sisters Gigi and Hadid, respectively, are the daughters of real estate mogul Mohamed Hadid and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star and former model Yolanda Foster. The Hadid sisters are the latest to take the industry by storm with their fresh and different looks.

Jelena Noura Hadid, also known as Gigi, made her big break in 2011, by signing with IMG Models at only 16 years old. A year later, she became the face of Guess and has since starred in three campaigns with the company. That same year, she was also named one of Sports Illustrate rookie models of the year.

Gigi made her New York Fashion Week debut in February of 2014 by walking in designer Desigual’s show. She has also appeared in music videos, playing Australian singer and teen heart throb Cody Simpson’s leading lady in the music video for his song “Surfboard,” who also happens to be her boyfriend in real life. 

In the summer of 2014 she starred alongside the son of actor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Patrick Schwarzenegger in Tom Ford’s eyewear campaign. But when it comes to the runway, Gigi has also walked for designers like Marc Jacobs, Jean Paul Gaultier, Sonia Rykiel, and Chanel during New York Fashion Week.

As of now, 2015 seems like Gigi’s year. She is already set to appear in the 2015 Pirelli calendar, and was also recently named the newest face of Maybelline. Gigi gushes to People magazine ““I’ve been watching Maybelline commercials since I was little and singing along with the jingle and doing little Maybelline commercials in my bathroom when I was like 10… I think a Maybelline girl represents such amazing thing — a girl that’s independent and strong and can maneuver the city by herself”

On the other hand, while younger sister Bella Hadid began modeling after her sister, Bella has still gained an enourmous of notoriety in the fashion industry. In 2014, Bella signed with IMG, the same agency as her sister Gigi. She has since appeared in several editorial shoots, and even landed the cover of Jalouse’s December/January 2015 issue. Bella also made her catwalk debut when she walked for Desigual in New York Fashion Week with her sister Gigi.

Aside from working like crazy, these two sisters are full time college students that participate in other activities as well such as horseback riding and photography.

In the coming months, be prepared to see a lot more of the Hadid sisters. They have become huge style icons in their industry for their unique looks. These two sisters come with two extremely different looks: Gigi with her blonde hair, blue green eyes creates a soft and romantic look while Bella has dark brown hair, high cheek bones, a strong jaw line and edgy style, certainly make them a sight to see. By the looks of it, these two have the potential to become supermodels in no time.

Photo Credits:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9