Matt Masiello ’16: President of Delta Tau Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus AU: Tell us about yourself.

Matt Masiello: I am currently a junior at American University’s School of International Service. I am originally from Johnstown, Pennsylvania, but now the family lives in Harwich, Massachusetts. My interests include soccer, admiring sculptures and wearing gym shorts eight days a week. All jokes aside, it’s been an absolute pleasure joining a fraternity, and it has added so many good things to my college experience.

HCAU: Why did you decide to take on a leadership role in Delta Tau Delta?

MM: The great thing about Delt is that there are so many different types of personalities. That makes us wonderfully unique. I feel as though I was in a position where I could represent all the personalities of our chapter and make sure that sort of identify continues.

HCAU: Has your time in Delt benefitted you during your time at AU?

MM: It definitely has. From the leadership skills to programming skills, I’ve learned many things that I feel employers might be looking for when reviewing job applications. Opportunities that I have volunteered for or even just have been thrown into have taught me how to organize and execute, while at the same time make sure that myself and everybody else is having a great time!

HCAU: What is the one thing about your fraternity that you would like students to know?

MM: We work very hard to make sure that the members in our chapters aren’t being manipulated to conform to some type of “ideal” brother. Every time a new guy gets bid, it’s because we think he’s unique and can offer something new and different to the fraternity. That is the sort of attitude that continues to permeate through our chapter and makes us unique.

HCAU: What is your favorite memory as a brother in Delt?

MM: Every semester, the chapter hikes Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah and each time it’s the most memorable experience. Whether rain or shine, there’s always some sort of story to bring back from the six-hour hike.

HCAU: Do you do any other student activities, interests, hobbies?

MM: I’m currently Vice President of Club Soccer, which is great because my biggest fear coming to college was that I wasn’t going to play as much soccer. That is definitely not the case though and I couldn’t be happier. I love to travel and I’m excited to study abroad in Copenhagen next semester!

HCAU: Any final words of wisdom?

MM: Everything in moderation, even moderation. Don’t let one aspect of your life takeover. Make sure there is a comfortable balance of the things you do. That being said, don’t be afraid to splurge a little and do something awesome!