Malia Obama Prepares For College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The process of figuring out which college or university you would like to attend is overwhelming. The long hours (or long night) before the SAT spent studying the review book you haven’t cracked open since you bought it. And don’t forget the endless tours with revolving family members that usually led to at least one meltdown. Then finally there is the terrifying yet relieving moment when you finally submit the common application. These are the struggles for the average high school senior, but for Malia Obama this process is extremely different. Everyone in the country is awaiting the news of where she will choose to go. 

The country has watched Malia Obama grow up from the presidential inauguration when she was 10 years old.  The people of the United States have kept up with Malia’s life milestones like learning how to drive (she was taught by the secret service), attending her first prom, and now choosing an institute for higher education.

Malia is currently a senior at Sidwell Friends School. In between her studies, she has managed to tour an extensive number of schools. Her dad, The President, earned a political science degree at Columbia in 1983. Michelle Obama graduated from Princeton in 1985 with a degree in sociology. After receiving their undergraduate degrees, both Barack and Michelle graduated from Harvard Law School.

With a strong history of Ivy League schools in the family, it is no surprise the she has toured quite a few. She has visited six of the Ivy League Schools including Brown, Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, and Yale.

In addition to the Ivies, she has also taken a look at a few other prestigious schools such as Stanford, the University of California, Berkeley, New York University, Tufts, Barnard and Wesleyan.

Malia has also gotten a head start in exploring possible career paths that she may hope to study in college. One of Malia’s interests, as The First Lady has explained extensively in the past, is filmmaking. Malia worked as a production assistant in the summer of 2014 for the CBS sci-fi drama, “Extant,” that stars Halle Berry. Last summer, she interned on the set of HBO’s “Girls,” the comedy-drama starring Lena Dunham.  

Outside the realm of filmmaking, Malia has participated in multiple internships at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo in Washington. Needless to say, she is clearly taking measures to make herself a very appealing candidate to the schools she is interested in.

As the world awaits her announcement, Her Campus American suggests the Katie Holmes movie about the president’s daughter’s college experience, First Daughter, to hold you over. Until then Her Campus  American wishes Malia the best of luck in her decision process.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3