Kennedy Political Union Announces 2018 Debate Series in Partnership with Antiracist Research and Policy Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Inspired by the current political climate, American University’s Kennedy Political Union (KPU) and the university’s Antiracist Research and Policy Center are organizing a debate speaker series. KPU is well-known for the events they put on at American such as the highly-anticipated “Wonk of the Year” event, which honored Malala Yousafzai last month. However, the Antiracist Research and Policy Center, a part of both the university’s College of Arts and Sciences as well as the School of International Service, is new to campus. The center, led by a professor new to American University, Ibram X. Kendi, focuses on justice, economic, educational, environmental, health, and political issues to eliminate discriminatory policies. Kendi mentioned the center’s efforts towards the debate series earlier this month.

Pictured above is Professor Ibram X. Kendi, leader of AU’s Antiracist Research and Policy Center.

The new series will start in spring of 2018 with hopes of transforming political arguments into productive debates. “More than ever, the current times call for proactive discussions to complex problems,” said Shyheim Snead, KPU Director. The groups plans to train students to become judges and fact-checkers at these debates. Snead said that the group is “thrilled to get a motivated set of students to work on the initiative.” Student judges will be taking away and giving points during the debate based on a set of guidelines, and fact-checkers will be responsible for finding sources to verify all information presented in real time. 

If you think you would be a good fit for the student judge or fact-checker position, applications are due on November 10th. Any questions can be sent to kpu@ausg.org 

Photo Credit: 1 belongs to Kennedy Political Union, 2

To learn more about Katie or get in touch with her, please visit katiemaloneportfolio.wordpress.com/.