Joe Ste.Marie ’15: Director of Academic and University Affairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Joe Ste.Marie isn’t just good with money. After previously serving as the Comptroller of Student Government, he is excited to take on a new role as the Director of Academic and University Affairs in the President’s Cabinet. Reigning from Bow Mar, Colorado, Joe is a sophomore studying Political Science and Law and Society with a love for politics and human rights. We talked with him about working on student rights and staying passionate. 

Next year you’re taking on a new position in Student Government as Director of Academic and University Affairs. What does this role entail?

It’s a little bit of everything. I’ll be working with Patrick Kelly (SG President) to help develop and lead our academics advocacy efforts. I’ll also be working on some projects with certain University policies, but I’ll be focused on advocating for students on a variety of issues.

What do you hope to achieve next year as Director of Academic and University Affairs?

After serving as Comptroller for a year and working with SG’s finances, I’m excited to get to work on some big issues outside of the financial sphere. Working on the University Budget was a great challenge and finances are all-important, but I’m thrilled to be working on more everyday issues. I’m looking into making academic regulations more student-friendly and expanding the work that Student Government does on that should be a great project for the coming year. At the most basic level, I want to bring student voice to the administration on academics.

What has been the most rewarding part of your campus involvement?

Emily Yu and I worked to craft SG’s advocacy on the University Budget. We certainly weren’t the only student voice, but the work we did helped to craft one of the University’s most progressive budgets, with an unprecedented $1.46 million in new financial aid and the lowest tuition increase on record.

What advice do you have for incoming freshman who want to get involved on campus?

Stay passionate. Find an issue you care really deeply about and finding the club or organization doing the most on it. For me that was Student Government, but there is a whole spectrum of incredible student organizations doing great work here. College is really about exploring your passions and on-campus involvement can be an incredible vehicle for that.

If you could work with any politician, who would it be and why?

That’s a really tough one. I’m really excited about what progressives are doing in Texas, so Julian and Juan Castro are definitely high on the list. I think it’d be really fascinating to work with Joe Biden. He wrote the Violence Against Women Act, which is one of my favorite pieces of legislation, and his work as a legislator is so inspiring.

Favorite class at American so far: Justice, Morality, and the Law with Professor Susan Karr

Favorite outdoors spot in DC: The Tidal Basin, across from the Jefferson Memorial

Favorite restaurant in DC: Hill Country in Gallery Place.

Fun fact: I’m only 18 years old.

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.